FanFix January 27, 2023 2820
(Updated: May 14, 2024)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I have been looking for a preferred version of Justice League for a while now and this one is almost it.

The theatrical cut of Justice League I find near unwatchable, with many of the re-shoots feeling rushed and too staged. Pretty much any scene with the league standing around talking is TV movie at best. ZSJL whilst tonally consistent is just so bloated and pretentious at times. Perfect example is Superman taking flight in the black suit. The voice overs from Crowe and Costner are utterly cringe worthy in ZSJL and so thankfully Wakeupkeo takes them out and just lets the music set the scene. Generally with this tone Wakeupkeo gets the balance just right.

The film looks and sounds fantastic and didn’t outstay its welcome. Aside from the numerous end credit scenes which added little. Also I wouldn’t have opted to include both rolling end credits as split screen. Not very filmic and created issues with the frame rate looking quite jittery.

Some music cues are a little too cut up for the sake of removing the odd piece of dialogue. For example during the epilogue. Also the transitions between scores is on a few occasions a little off, for example after Aquaman lands on the fisherman's boat.

However the one point which really didn’t work for me personally was the league's discussion around resurrecting Superman. Firstly the score replacement. Replacing the ‘Man of Steel’ theme with ‘Song to the Siren’ felt very off. Not to mention it drowned out the dialogue so Barry’s line ‘I know we are all thinking the same thing’ is barely audible. Then we get the Whedon re-shoot which descends into soap opera type bickering between Bruce and Diana. Resurrecting Superman is such a pivotal moment in the film and where I felt ZSJL treated it with the reverence it deserved. Here I would have preferred Wakeupkeo leave this moment alone and not revert to Whedon.

Otherwise a fantastic edit and highly recommended.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments