Review Detail

9.1 15 10
FanFix August 08, 2012 7606
(Updated: September 12, 2012)
Enjoyment

April 13, 2012

JAWS 3 MONSTER

And what a monster it is! A Monster of Awesomeness!!!

I had a great time watching this.
Unfortunately, I can not say too much, as I don’t want to SPOIL any of the fun and creative narrative changes Last Survivor has made. Let me just say this is not the JAWS 3 any of you remember. It is a fun beer (root beer for those of you under 18) and popcorn B-Movie monster flick.

So what can I comment on?
The new narrative works pretty flawlessly and is completely coherent, which was a concern considering footage from other movies was included to tell this new tale of terror. Most of the new footage fits fairly seamlessly, though some do stand out a bit more than others due to colour correction not perfectly matching or the footage that is clearly from a different style of film (cgi or documentary). But this does not detract from the experience. In fact, it only enhances the b-movie experience. Especially, if you watch the edit a second time knowing the new ending, you will appreciate all these little touches even more. All the cuts and transitions are expertly done. I did not notice any real hard cuts or flash frames. All exceptionally well crafted.

From a personal stand point though, I think I would have preferred the cut Alternate Seaworld scene to the final version, as I think it would have added more to the final pay off. But that is just me. Never too much monster. LOL!

The sound work is boggling and incredible. My hat off to you good sir.
I think I would have just let Bruce eat me rather than do all the audio rebuilding you did.
The opening Ski Sequence is masterful. I would never have suspected it was rebuilt from scratch. It is THAT good! Loved all the 80s pop tunes, made the movie experience even more authentic in my mind. All the audio was clean and clear and sounded awesome on my surround sound system.

So JAWS MONSTER is a fantastic Saturday Matinee ride. Highly recommended.

But Wait! There is more!
Holy Neptune’s Trident, is there ever ALOT more!

LS provides audio commentary on Monster. First off, kudos to you to have the courage to do that. I don’t think I ever would. And secondly, and more importantly, thanks for making the commentary so informative and entertaining. I really enjoyed hearing your perspective and passion for this project.

Then we have an entire second dvd of extras. These include the aforementioned deleted scenes, all of which are interesting from the creative process stand point and how an edit evolves with time. I thought the Dreamscape was an interesting notion and well crafted but completely understand why it did not make the final cut.

Along with the Deleted Scenes is an absolutely amazingly informative documentary about the history of Jaws 3 and the creation of this fan edit. Very professionally done. I learned tons. You know, I may be a crazy, but the idea of the Burned/Scarred Bruce from Jaws 2 returning seeking revenge sounds really cool and twisted to me!

And then there is the final extra item, a short fan edit of Jaws The Revenge entitled GHOST SHARK. Where Jaws Monster is a fun, popcorn romp, GHOST SHARK is a dark, moody, suspenseful psychological terror tale. These two edits are so different in tone and style it is hard at first to believe they were made by the same editor. And I mean that as the highest of compliments. Ghost Shark is OUTSTANDING! I real hidden gem is this already overflowing sunken galley of treasures!

So in case I have been too vague through this review,
I LOVED THIS FAN EDIT!

THUMBS WAY UP!

Congrats LS on a truly stunning piece of work.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments