Review Detail

9.6 13 10
FanFix August 08, 2012 4024
(Updated: September 12, 2012)
Enjoyment

October 29, 2009

Funny, I haven’t seen Con Air since it was released, and I was a little surprised while watching Jailbird this morning just how bad the movie is.

Maybe that’s not fair. I guess it wasn’t horrible. Just seems like I remembered a more enjoyable film. I suppose I can tell by my reaction that it is no longer the 90s and I am no longer a teenager.

Still Jailbird is a good step towards improvement and watchability. If I knew someone planning to re-watch Con Air I’m sure I would give them a copy of this instead. The edits were seamless for me, and the editing choices were overall good ones. If it were me, I would probably try and remove more, perhaps cut more of the asshole DEA agent. But then again, it is easy to start cutting bad dialogue, and accidentally end up with nothing left that resembles a movie. I can’t say whether removing anything else would have actually ended up harming the pacing.

The DVD menus are beautiful, although they had a few annoyances for me. When I went to look at what special features were missing, I was frustrated to see there was no button to go back to the main menu. So I clicked on “root menu” (using WinDVD), and it brought me back to the transition scene between the main menu and the special features. I had to press “title menu” instead, although of course I had to re-watch the intro to the main menu (maybe that’s unavoidable, I still don’t know much about making complicated motion menus). Later I was watching the scene comparisons, and pressed the next chapter button thinking it would lead me back to the special features menu, but it brought me to the trailer reel instead (which is fine, since that was what I wanted to select next). At the end of the trailers it looped back to the first trailer though. As I said, these are obviously very minor quibbles.

All in all I feel it’s a strong 7 stars for me. I can’t give much higher, because Con Air just isn’t that enjoyable for me, but I give kudos for making it watchable, which I still think is kind of amazing.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments