Review Detail

9.0 24 10
(Updated: September 12, 2012)
Enjoyment

December 8, 2011

This might be the first FanEdit I’ve rated about 5 stars since Jaws: The Sharksploitation Edit.

I usually start w/positive and go to the negatives, but here I’ll be doing the opposite since the negatives are so few.

1. The opening credits are problem atic. You clearly had issues with the font and placement of the names. Plus you misspelled Capshaw’s name (or did I misread it? It looked like “Catshaw”).
2. Removing the silliness and overacting is great, but Indy films ARE fun. A grimace from Willie during dinner would have helped explain her hunger later. The comment she makes when being lowered and raised in the pit so many times is necessary to add some brevity to a long, dark sequence.
3. I can’t believe you cut Dan Aykroyd. How dare you! =]
4. When Willy’s thrown from the elephant, cutting at Shortround’s “Very funny!” would have worked better, in part b/c of the callback during the film’s denouement.

I honestly think that’s it.

The film is far more fun, believable, has a great deal more tension.

Your opening sequence felt far more Indiana Jones (I never liked the song and dance; well, I liked it, but I never felt it fit) although I think you could have used one of the shots in there for that Paramount logo fade they always do in Indy movies.

The other cuts along the way worked very well. I was dubious at first. If you look at my reviews of FanEdits like Flash Gordon or Quantum of Solace, you’ll see I have no patience for the editors who don’t understand the concepts of story and screenplay structure (and character arcs). You clearly get all of that.

The way you cut the Temple sequence was brilliant, making it solely about “turning” Indy and sacrificing Willy. As stated above, her line — whatever it is, I can’t recall — about how many times she’s raised and lowered should be put back in. While the sequence is shortened, a little brevity IS part of Indiana Jones…and it would go a long way there.

Cutting the Temple scene made everything afterwards that much more enjoyable. Cutting Capshaw’s overacting/screaming & some of of Ke Quan’s cutesieness (which never actually bugged me), made the funny parts funnier and I had more vested in the action and danger.

I noticed no bad cuts or edits. Yes, the sound got a little loud in 2 or 3 spots, but that’s not a major problem to me by any means.

Very, VERY well done.

P.S. I take back my comment about the logo fade–I blinked and missed it the first time. I also see now that it DOES say “Capshaw” but it’s VERY hard to read.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments