This edit is dedicated to my patient, wonderful fiancee Sophie. This edit is for you..... and hopefully a few other people may enjoy it too ;)
- When Bond takes on the identity of Mr Van Bier, have cut scene of him inside the helicopter placing the explosives underneath the diamond tray in the brief case.
- Cut reference from Colonel Moon about his hovercrafts being able to float over mines when Bond questions him about his weapons.
- Removed Bond’s line “Don’t blow it all once” when the briefcase of diamonds is being examined
- Trimmed the last part of the Hovercraft chase to remove the hand to hand fight between Bond and Moon
- “Saved by the bell” removed.
- Fanedit titles inserted during title sequence, and removed Madonna's "Die Another Day" for Joss Stone's "I'll Take it All".
- Trimmed the end of the scene when Bond is traded for Zao
- Removed the laser medical examination of Bond with the voice-over.
- Cut “I’m checking out” and “Thanks for the kiss of life” as Bond leaves his hospital bed
- Removed couple of frames as Bond leaps over the side of the ship, preventing his hands from coming back into view as it’s clear he landed on a crash mat.
- Cut Jinx rising from the water in slow motion
- Trimmed as much of the poor dialogue between Jinx and Bond when they first meet as possible
- In the hospital, as Bond walks through the window of a patients room, takes a grape and exits into the corridor, have trimmed a few frames to fix continuity error of Bond eating two grapes when he only takes one
- After Bond and Zao's battle at the hospital, have slightly rearranged the scene where Zao jumps out of the window so that Bond shoots just as Zao has already jumped through the window, rather than before. Surely as a double "O" agent, Bond wouldn't miss from such close range?
- Trimmed a couple of frames as Jinx dives backwards off the wall into the ocean below to try and make the "green screen" work less obvious.
- As Bond is seen traveling on a British Airways plane back to England, replaced The Clash's "London Calling", with the original scored music by David Arnold. Also trimmed the scenes inside the plane, to remove Bond's "Lucky I asked for it shaken" line.
- Removed Grave's line "As they say in fencing, what's the point?", as he's talking to the press outside Buckingham Palace.
- Madonna's cameo trimmed to remove the terrible jokes/innuendos
- As Bond meets M in the secret underground station meeting point, removed his line of "Then perhaps it's time you let me get on with my job?". The look he gives M seems enough to me.
- Cut Bond's virtual reality training sequence.
- Trimmed Q's gadget-prep scene, removing gags related to props from previous Bond movies, and also no invisible car is seen or referred to.
- "Speeded up" style editing shots removed as Bond approaches the Ice Palace.
- As one of Grave's henchmen opens the door of Bond's Aston Martin, have removed him introducing himself as " Mr Kill", thereby removing Bond's quip "Now there's a name to die for"
- As Miranda shows Bond to his room, removed one line of dialogue referencing a joke to do with her surname of Frost and the Ice Palace itself
- As the party at the Ice Palace begins, removed another case of "speeded up editing"
- Removed various jokes/innuendo lines at Party where Bond, Jinx and Miranda converse with each other.
- After the Icarus presentation, have removed scenes of the invisible car as Bond begins to investigate the true nature of Graves' intentions.
- As Jinx is interrogated by Zao, have removed him asking "Who sent you?" to which she replied
"Your Mamma. And she wanted me to tell you she's really disappointed in you".
- Fight scene between Bond and Kill has now been trimmed so that the lasers which were going off everywhere and would probably have cut them in two, now get turned off a lot quicker.
- After the fight, when Bond walks up to free Jinx have removed his line "So, the girl who doesn't like to get tied down, huh?", and then also her reply "You gonna get me off this thing?"
- As Miranda shows her true colours and says "It was good of you to bring your gun to bed with us", have removed Bond's line "Yes... occupational hazard", as he had already said it once as he was going to bed with her.
- Cut Graves' speech to Bond about his dubious actions with Miranda at the Sydney Olympics.
- Cut small shot of Miranda's blank reaction when Bond shatters the glass floor
- Cut Bond escaping into the Ice rocket and the scene thereafter, including the CGI travesty tsunami scene where Bond surfs his way to safety. Instead, as Bond escapes down the side of the Ice Palace he gets straight into his Aston Martin and Zao pursues him in his suped-up Jaguar.
- Once Zao corners Bond inside the melting Ice Palace, removed invisible Car shots
- When Bond and Jinx sneak on-board Graves' plane, have shortened various scenes to tighten pace, and poor one-liners removed.
- As Bond and Jinx freefall in the helicopter, have removed a couple of her lines and one from Bond.
- Moneypenny's virtual reality scene cut
- Bond and Jinx's romantic scene on the Island trimmed
- Grace Jones' "Storm" used over end credits.
This is sooooo much better than the original! So many stupid moments and lines are gone. The only thing I would change is the ending, as I don't like Jinx, I would trim the VR sequence of Moneypenny and trim it so that it ends before it's revealed that it's a VR sequence, so now Bond would finally end up with the woman who's been working with him for years.
It is incredible how excellent this fan edit is. How can you transform this piece of ugly carbon in such a perfect diamond? This version is action-packed, with intelligent characters, a great villain, a tough Bond that is also vulnerable and just the fair amount of cheesiness that characterizes the best Bond films. This version is a diamond and diamonds are forever.
A lot better than the original movie! LastSurvivor I applaud your cut. Love the song you chose to replace Madonna's with. Loved everything you did. Only reason I rate 8/10 for enjoyment is, because this is still D.A.D., and I really disliked it.
Cannot wait to check out the other Bond's you have edited.
Only seen this movie once and it's been a very, VERY long time. Decided that when I watched it again I would watch an edit. It's always nice to experience a fanedit when you're not too familiar with the source material.
Being that I can't remember the original that well, I can't say much other than what I witnessed. The editing was tight. There were no awkward cuts and nothing felt out of place. The only thing that felt awkward was when Bond reversed his car and the bad guy drove through the ice. The editing was fine, but it just was slightly unclear what happened. I understand that this was due to removing scenes with the invisible car.
Watched this with a friend who was familiar with the movie and, bar a few cheesy lines that he missed, considered this a much better cut than the original. I thought it was an OK film, which I guess is an upgrade from the fairly naff film that I remember it to be. Although, no matter how much editing you do, you can't take away the fact that neither Halle Berry nor Madonna can act to save their mums.
Quality was DVD quality. No complaints there. Twas an average film so enjoyment gets an average rating. No fault to the editor.
The ending also felt a bit rushed, but from what I heard about what was cut, it's a small sacrifice!
Overall a good, professional edit.
Oh yes! This is terrific. Icarus makes this Bond film not just acceptable, this edit makes it enjoyable!
Compliments on the narrative. Tightening the pace is spot on for what I'd expect of Bond. Reducing the quantity of gags improves the quality of what stays and brings balance to the action and humor. Cutting the ice-glider chase is seamlessly executed and removes many annoyances.
Compliments on the video editing. I watched this edit and the original side-by-side, otherwise I wouldn't have known where the cuts lined up.
Compliments on the audio editing. Equally seamless except for one edit: "Bitch". LastSurvivor, you already point this out in your commentary. If your software can do it, perhaps slow down that one word of audio (without changing the pitch) to draw it out a bit more? In "Read this. Bitch." emphasis is on "this", making the delivery of "bitch" shorter than it might be as a stand-alone word.
Compliments on the audio commentary. What a luxury! Informative and insightful. Keep 'm coming.
My one disagreement is cutting Berry walking out of the surf. She looks gorgeous doing it. More importantly, it gives continuity to the gag when Craig walks out of the surf in his debut.
On a technical side note: Icarus is DVD resolution, I'd love it even more in HD. And it would be great to include subtitles. Perhaps there is software that can easily take the original subs and cut them with the video?
In conclusion: Does this replace the original? Absolutely yes. Does this improve my appreciation of Brosnan? Also yes.