Review Detail

7.6 9 10
FanFix August 21, 2012 3626
(Updated: September 15, 2012)
Enjoyment

Review by Russkafin — September 18, 2009 @ 4:50 pm

Jorge, I just finished watching your edit of Hulk. I have to agree with everyone who said it is a vast improvement over the original. I was amazed at how much you were able to peel away and still create a coherent film. The backstory that is cut away is not missed at all. The pacing is superb, the movie moves much better and doesn’t slow down. I love the ending with Hulk roaming free and leaping around the desert.

What I did not feel worked as well was the voiceover narration. I understand why you included it… to help bridge the scenes and connect the story while you were hacking away so much of it. But to be honest, I don’t think you needed it. I really feel that with the scenes you chose and the way you ordered them, the story works well enough that you don’t need that v.o. to explain everything, the story still flows well enough on its own I feel. Without the narration, I also don’t think you needed the newscast opening… it could have started right out with the lab experiments.

When we first see Bruce’s father in the hospital scene, his father says something about Bruce’s last name not being Krenzler, it’s Banner. In your edit we never heard any reference before this to his name being Krenzler, as far as we know it was always Banner. You could have cut that line and started with Bruce saying “How’d you get in here?” or whatever came next.

It’s too bad you couldn’t cut even more of Nick Nolte than you did. That scene with him and Bruce before he bites the electrical wire at the end always makes me cringe, it feels like some bizarrely acted two-man stage play.

I wonder if an edit of this film could be done that completely removes the Notle character, and is just about Hulk vs the military…? Before seeing your edit I would not have thought it could be done, but after seeing what you were able to do with this film I am convinced that anything could be possible.

Anyway, very nice work and I enjoyed it very much.
R
2 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments