9.7 20 10
FanFix August 10, 2018 32472
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This edit is truly the definitive version of Peter Jackson's vision. The Hobbit movies had a fantastic core with a great cast, but were bogged down by out of place elements. Adam doesn't relentlessly cut down the movie and reduce it to a plot driven action film. Instead, he keeps the intended tone and atmosphere of the original films and builds on that. Peter Jackson's Hobbit was not meant to be a direct adaptation of Tolkien's novel with no additional input. It was a culmination, a final word by someone who had worked in Middle-Earth for so long. Adam understands this and beautifully gels the Necromancer plot to the overall Erebor story in a way that deepens the latter. The new subtitles and restructured Dol Guldur scenes give the viewer a keen understanding of why this quest to take back the mountain is so important. Azog's plot is also improved by the restructuring. The Azog flashback comes at just the right moment. The way that the three plotlines in the film (Azog, Necromancer, Erebor) are combined to create one strong narrative is the best part of this edit. Each plotline also has symbolic relevance, as they all contribute to an overall theme about perseverance in the face of corruption.

Thorin's new "coming back from madness" scene is seamlessly cleaned up. The OTT gold flood is removed and the scene becomes hugely introspective. This example lies at the core of Adam's work here. Small changes that play a major role.

The only (and I mean only) part where I felt like I was watching a fanedit was the lead up to the Azog flashback. There's a shot of one of the dwarves looking anxiously at Thoron. It's a short clip that's strangely reversed and repeated a few seconds after it initially occurs. It's just a bit awkward.

Other than that small bit, a genuinely fantastic edit. My favorite of any of the Hobbit fanedits by far.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Blu-Ray
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments