FanFix November 06, 2021 17602
(Updated: September 16, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Very fine handling of the CGI cringe-fest of the theatrical version of the Middle Earth opus The Hobbit. Stromboli's is a noteworthy addition to the efforts among the educated fan-base to turn a turgid slab of marble into a beautiful statue.

Most omissions are timely and well considered although I have a minor issue with the sudden appearance of Orcs in the final battle, a direct result of the expunging of the Azog subplot from the original film. There is a common shared view between fan editors of the Hobbit trilogy that Azog is a foreign, Peter Jackson-imported element in the saga which is of course true if one wishes to stick to the novel but in the context of the films Azog served as a primary antagonist whose presence haunted the company climaxing into the Orc attack. Therefore the final confrontation between Thorin and Azog comes naturally and not somewhat abruptly as in this and other fan edits. Besides, Azog is shot in a way that indicates a pretty important big shot (not a replaceable Orc commander like Gothmog in The Return of the King). Probably no editing can change that.

Nevertheless, this edit made me appreciate the film infinitely more. The Hobbit is essentially a road story, much like The Fellowship of the Ring (in my view the best of the LotR trilogy) and this cut certainly comes close to the task of elevating the commercialized Hobbit trilogy to the quality ranks of the latter film. The episodic format the editor follows was quite clever and fitting to the structure of the story and it helped neutralize some editing issues like the transition from film 1 to film 2 of the trilogy. This fan edit is undoubtedly a work of great care and love. I feel, however, that the ultimate The Hobbit fan edit, is yet to be found.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
K
Top 1000 Reviewer 2 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
September 16, 2022
The alternate version of Episode 5 includes the Arkenstone delivery as well as some scenes that show the orcs arriving, so it's not as abrupt. That wouldn't fix your issues with how I handled Azog but it might fix part of the orc issue, if you ever decide to rewatch it one day!

Happy you enjoyed everything else though :')
S
stromboli-bones
1 results - showing 1 - 1