hobbit5edits_front
FanFix November 06, 2021 10451
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Visual Editing

Audio Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I've been around for a bit but I never felt the need to write reviews of any edits until this one. I'd like to start off by saying that this edit is by no means perfect, but that is the nature of this beautiful world we find ourselves in. The budgeting of an actual theatrical release is colossal compared to any fan editor's time and money that can be spent on any project, and there is an overall level of polish that is expected from theatrical releases that simply cannot exist in the fan edit realm.

That being said, it is absolutely clear that this editor poured his/her heart and soul into this project, and the results are something he/she should be proud of. I have come to expect sharp cuts and awkward transitions in Hobbit edits. That is not the case here. This is easily the closest level of polish I have seen to the theatrical releases. This must have been an enormous endeavor on behalf of the editor and his/her success in this regard cannot be understated. If you want to check out the cleanest edit on this forum in terms of mimicking the polish of a theatrical cut, look no further.

In addition to creating an unexpectedly smooth watching experience, Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Edits nails all of its thematic decisions. To name a few standouts, I love how Azog no longer falls into the ice and then breaks out in a way that is BEYOND ridiculous. That change allowed me to remain immersed in the story without that jarring interruption. Additionally, the flow of some of the earlier scenes leading up to the eagle rescue seem to progress in a way that emphasizes the bonds growing within the dwarf party without the complications of the bilbo/thorin bonding scene. Finally, and most importantly for my own preference, this edits keeps Smaugs death as true as possible to that in the book. This was the most irksome departure for me when watching the original releases and many edits fail to do this important death justice. These decisions and a few others made this edit stand out to me and really enriched my viewing experience.

Thanks for reading my first review and to the owner, keep up the good work!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
B
1 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 11 1

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
November 29, 2021
Nothing like a well liked review!
A
artisdead
November 30, 2021
Happy to hear that you finally took the plunge and I was your first review, and a glowing one at that!

I'm glad you appreciated my Azog bit, too!
S
stromboli-bones
2 results - showing 1 - 2