FanFix June 17, 2014 2984
(Updated: June 23, 2014)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This is a wonderful first release by a very promising new editor at fanedit.org.

Ranger613 has carefully and skilfully removed many of the elements that weighed down the second Hobbit movie, while being careful not to overcut. This doesn't feel like a fanedit, it feels like an official release. The audio transitions are smooth, the visual cutting is well paced and the sense of narrative is strong.

For some, there are elements in this cut that will frustrate - for example, the excess of the barrels chase and the dwarves vs Smaug scenes remain intact. But those elements aside, this is a much stronger cut than the theatrical version, and gives me everything I look for in a fanedit - Namely, great technical prowess, attention to detail, thoughtful narrative work and nothing distracting that makes me think, "Oh, that's right, this is a fanedit...".

Well done ranger! I will be watching your career with great interest...

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply June 23, 2014

Thank you very much for the support njvc. I hope to produce more good work for all to enjoy. The "purist" edition, titled 'Into the Fire' will be released soon, and I hope that version will satisfy any of the disappointment resulting from the more extreme narrative deviations of the theatrical cut. I appreciate the time you took to watch and review this edit. Cheers!

Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments