FanMix March 27, 2017 3756
(Updated: August 13, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Return of the Jedi has always been recognized as the weakest film in the original trilogy, and Heavy Star Wars VI also suffers the same fate. Of course, how much of this edit is affected by the original version would make for an interesting debate. Would I still recommend this, though? Yes. Much like the original movie, I still like it, even if it is a step down from the others.

When reviewing the Heavy Star Wars edits, I feel that a lot of my opinion is driven by what song choices were made. And in this case, the song choices gave me deja vu. A lot of the songs here have already been used in previous entries in the Heavy Star Wars franchise, and I'm not talking about the obvious ones like Sammy Hagar's Heavy Metal or that Battle of the Planets song. I mean a lot of the songs have already been played in the previous five Heavy Star Wars edits. Tick Tick Boom by the Hives and Black Sabbath's Planet Caravan were both featured in Episode II. AC/DC's Thunderstruck was already used in Episode III. Even The Animals' House of the Rising Sun, which closed out Episode I, closes this edit as well. I think I get what Evil Ed was going for with this, but I feel like it's one too many songs I've heard before. Of the six Heavy edits I've reviewed so far, this one is hard to distinguish from the others, and it lacks personality in comparison with the other five. I suppose I enjoyed it more than the disco tracks of Episode II, but it would've been nice for this edit to have something to make it stand out from the rest.

That doesn't mean that this entry in the Heavy Star Wars franchise is bad. Far from it. I like this edit for a lot of the same reasons I like Return of the Jedi. The father/son dynamic of this film is as perfect as ever, and the use of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird is spot on. And as an ending to the original trilogy, it's satisfying enough that it should please enough people. It's not perfect, but it'll do. If you've already seen the previous five Heavy Star Wars edits, and you're excited to watch another one, you'll probably enjoy this one well enough too. Don't expect this to become your favorite, but do give it a watch.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments