harry_potter_front.jpg
FanFix November 25, 2014 14550
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Andreas has put a lot of love into this, and his edits are great. The re-coloration is excellent, and he's truly achieved his goal of aligning the tone of the film with later entries in the series. If you want a darker, more mature version of this film, look no further. That said, I must say the original carried a family friendly charm which was in line with the tone of the book, and suited the film as well. So at least for me, I'm not sure this edit can replace the original, but rather stands as a great alternative way to experience the story.

Technically it holds up well. Audio editing in particular is impressive, seamlessly integrating new pieces from later films which add more appropriate tension or emotion to scenes. In a couple cases however the track choices felt a little jarring, due to their intensity. The boat scene for instance, one of Ron's lines was overpowered by the new track.

Andreas has also updated the sequence where Harry's parents are murdered, and uses this well several times throughout the film. The new prologue is cool, and Harry's nightmare is an excellent touch. I felt this sequence was used one or two many times too often however. And its final appearance during the conversation between Harry and Dumbledore felt shoehorned and the transitions sloppy, which made for a unique instance of an edit which I felt just didn't work.

I appreciated the streamlined run-time, but felt cutting the potions class diminished Snape's character, and cutting Norbert led to an abrupt transition between the Forest scene, and the trio rushing to ask to speak with Dumbledore.

Overall though, well worth watching. Looking forward to watching Andreas' other edits in the series.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments