Review Detail

9.3 5 10
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I consider myself a pretty big HP fan, read all the books, own all the movies, but I do consider the film series and book series to be totally separate entities that don't necessarily need to match up perfectly. If the films matched the books, they'd all be insufferably long. I get how they justified splitting the last one up, and it mostly works, but watching them recently (a few years removed from the initial rush), they drag. We didn't need two films, just one well-paced long one. That's what we have here, and it's pretty great. I was skeptical about cutting a horcrux; after all, the last film was clear about the number, but I didn't miss it. Despite how fun the excised sequence was, it's absence wasn't felt, and I never spent all that much time counting down horcruxes while watching these movies anyway. I didn't catch any plot holes or dropped threads (that weren't already there), and I never got lost as to what was going on because Spence is careful to give you moments that let you catch your breath. It's still quite long, but it feels more "epic" than "bloated."
On a technical level, the edit was fantastic, as is typical for this editor, and the render looked and sounded great. No complaints here.
I don't know how Spence works so quickly, but they're too prolific an editor to be this good. 10s across the board.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments