FanFix August 07, 2012 4502
(Updated: September 07, 2012)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Visual Editing

Enjoyment

boon23 sept 20 2009

Prologue:
I hated the original remake (and have never watched the original). It is one of those total disappointments for me, which I switched off after about 10 minutes. So I actually don’t know much about it, besides that I found it boring, stupid, superficial. When Tranzor presented his fanedit I was very surprised by his choice, yet his take seemed to suggest that I had missed something and I found his entire idea intriguing.
This fanedit is pretty hard to review for me, because it contains a lot that was interesting, while the overall experience still was much like what led me to quit the first time. Alas, this time I watched it until the very end(s).

As for all my reviews: this is just my personal opinion of this fanedit. I cannot tell anybody else, if he or she will experience it in the same way or the opposite. So my review is not objective and does not reflect the opinion of fanedit.org.

!!!!This review contains heavy spoilers!!!

The edit:
The good:
Tranzor’s idea of making it a whodunit movie worked really well. Until the very end I was not aware, who the killer was.
The high contrasted black and white with dust and flickering worked well for this movie and added some atmosphere to it. Not by letting it appear old, but by letting it appear cheaper.
In most cases the disappearance of the score worked really in favor of the movie.
The middle part was good and I was kind of thrilled.
The fanedit is well cut, there are no hard cuts in audio and the plot is well developed. The great effort shows.
Seamless branching was very well done. The 2 endings option totally adds to the overall experience.

The bad:
It’s still a stupid, superficial and boring movie IMO. The plot is predictable, the kills are not thrilling, always to show-off with special effects and ultra-violence. The hunts make me yawn and there are way too many impossibilities (like running from one end of a big building to the other in a few seconds).

And the ugly:
If you listen with headphones, you still hear a lot of suppressed score. There are a lot of sound effects missing, which makes several scenes sound awkward (for example the scene in the store, when the 2 women obviously hear a sound, but the audience does not).
The flickering was a bit irritating at times.

So, while this edit shows a lot of technical know-how and is a VERY interesting experiment, it unfortunately fails for me int he entertainment sector still completely. I do believe that Tranzor made this movie 100% better than the original, but that still does not make it any kind of good for me.
There are a few not well done audio flaws, where sound effects were missing and should have been added.

editing: 10 of 10 (very well edited movie with a lot of effort and expertise))
entertainment: 4 of 10 (original 1 of 10. I give it a 4 because I was really entertained by the middle section of the movie)

Image and video quality:
Image and video quality were good. The high contrast was well executed and worked really well for this movie. Some flickering was annoying, because it took me out of the movie).
Video quality: 9 of 10

Audio editing and audio quality:
While the audio experiment is a wonderful and very daring one, the execution was not so well. With headphones there is a lot of suppressed score still there and sound effects are missing, making the audio sound very flat or even wrong at times.
There were no hard audio cuts.
audio editing: 10 of 10
sound quality: 4 of 10
resulting in a 7 of 10 for overall audio

presentation:
The DVD comes with still menus with audio and nice pickax buttons. It has 2 selectable endings, very well done through seamless branching. There are no chapters menus. The about menu is weak and could have contained more info. The fanedit comes with a cheap looking but overall fitting cover art and no disc art.
To sum it up:
The seamless branching is definitely an over average thing, while the rest is very simply executed and could have been done with more effort. Still, a lot better than the usual fanedit presentation.
resulting in a 7 of 10 for overall presentation

Final result: 7 of 10
an interesting fanedit, still not so much an interesting movie.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments