8.9 2 10
FanFix October 24, 2015 3926
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Rob Zombie’s reboot of the Halloween franchise was dull, bloated, and unnecessary. I have a relative who believes this director is a true artiste, and he keeps sending me DVDs as holiday gifts, thinking I will “see the light.”
Aztek, who did fine work combining 300, chopped a quarter of the film in trying to fashion a rougher, no nonsense experience. The result is a lean narrative with a hammer down pace.

Video: 1280 X 720p MPEG4. Editing slick throughout. Despite the high resolution - better than this film deserves - the look is still grainy. To be expected in the night sequences, but interiors seemed gauzy. Not Aztek’s fault, most of Zombie’s film look this way. Blacks solid.

Audio: 6 Channel AC3, 448 kbps. No Subs. Again, high end sonically - better than this film deserves - and the sound design very clear. From whispers to howling, a lot of howling (more later). Aztek’s cuts and trims are well thought out, efficient, and professional. Range is not too dynamic, so you can likely play this in another room over your speakers without irritating others.

Narrative: One might think the story would be savaged with so much purged. Not so. This edit really holds together, though it does get wearying after an hour. The tale is itself essentially a padded one, what with a backstory featuring way too much gabbing, then a seemingly endless dark chase finale.

Enjoyment: Wanted to, but couldn’t. The young Michael, well cast, is truly repellent. His mom (Zombie’s sorry muse, Moon), is a witless, weak mother. And where in that mental institute is that kid getting materials to make masks, and who keeps allowing him to weak them? Guarantee you, old Doc Fred Chilton would not have permitted that.

The young actor, to be fair, is damn creepy. The chase finale went on and on and on and on, however. All the screaming, screeching, whimpering sounded like someone kicking a bag of cats.

Absolutely worth a look for the curious, especially fans of RZ. For the uninitiated, caveat emptor.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments