halloweenreturns_front
FanFix October 06, 2021 5327
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I'm a longtime fan of slasher horror films and Michael Myers was always one of my favorites, Can't say that I like many of his movies though. Let's say I like the "trilogy", Halloween (original), Halloween 2 (not so much though) and H20 as a semi-decent, complete closure. Rob Zombie's reboot had potential, but fell flat on its face. So when this was announced, I was excited that I would get a second chance for a different trilogy, now officially quadrilogy, that includes the original, on the saga of Michael Myers. Unfortunately, I did not like this one. I found it mediocre at best and a wasted opportunity. My enjoyment factor was like a 5-6. So giving a shot at a fanedit in order to potentially salvage it, was a one-way street.

Technical-wise, it was flawless. Great audio/picture quality and superb editing! I didn't notice or "felt", at any point, that a scene was tampered with. So, excellent job here!

On the narrative side of things, the most important side, this light trimming and restructuring of certain scenes, did wonders! I seriously downloaded this thinking, there is no way that light editing will save the film for me, but whatever, let's watch it. Oh boy, am I glad I did! The changes were so spot on, that I started doubting myself if I didn't judge the film fairly the first time. I couldn't believe that I was actually really enjoying this! And one change that I definitely have to mention, is the ending. The editor removed the firemen going to the burning cabin where Michael was, making the film a standalone sequel to the first one, BUT, it doesn't exclude the sequel (if you liked it), because it picks up from there, showing the firemen etc. So, whether you don't like the next two movies and you want a closure or you do like them, this edit works both ways!

So, I most definitely recommend this edit and I believe it will be your go-to version! Now, if you completely disliked the theatrical, I don't think this will work for you, as it is not an aggressive-plot-changing edit.

Thank you The Butcher and thanks to anyone who read my review!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments