FanFix October 12, 2014 7191
(Updated: December 26, 2017)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Haven't seen this since the cinema, and when I saw it then I was bored out of my mind. This edit filters out all the unnecessary drama and streamlines the film into a simple monster movie, which is all it ever needed to be. 43 minutes were cut, which is just mind boggling. I didn't miss a single bit of footage - if anything I'd say that the set up is still maybe a bit slow.
Narratively, I liked the decision to have the wife die (or at least, fate ambiguous), however, it would have been good to have her introduced as a paramedic, rather than just randomly seeing her in uniform (minor, minor qualm, though).

Quality was top notch and editing was seamless. I noticed one audio transition, but it's very easily overlooked. The Bonus Short also had a rather dodgy fade from one piece of music to another at the end when transitioning into the credit sequence (you can hear the clash as the tunes overlap).

No one can complain for the lack of Brian Cranston in this edit. His performance in the theatrical was great, but his beginning scenes were pointless. Thankfully, the editor puts this cut footage into a short, which also makes for a great optional prologue.

I wouldn't call this a great film, but it's certainly a spectacle. A good, solid monster movie that doesn't overstay it's welcome. Far superior to the theatrical cut.

Hats off to the editor. Very well done.
Owner's reply December 28, 2017

Thank you very much for enjoying the edit!

T
Top 50 Reviewer 103 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments