Review Detail

9.4 22 10
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

If you're like me, and you adore Godzilla and already enjoyed this film for what it was, I think you'll have a blast with this edit. If you like Godzilla but the jokes in this movie were unbearable, I think this edit will still work much better for you. But if you already weren't a fan and disliked the character's stories and the overall plot, then there's really nothing here for you. Highlights were definitely the new opening which set a captivating tone that unfortunately, a lot of the movie just doesn't completely support, which is no fault of the editor. But the work he does in the opening is really something. I also was surprised how much I liked the inclusion of the Dark Knight music, it really heightened the tension. If you know the Dark Knight soundtrack well, it might take you out of the movie, but even I was impressed.

My only editing issues were the opening breakfast scene which I think just doesn't work in the truncated way here, it's so obvious we're missing a beat. There was also a noticeable audio cut during the scene where Emma is about to blow the ice wall, I think there were too many new audio sources going on at once that all cut out at the same time.

Honestly, my biggest issue with the film has always been the way the score has been mixed. Bear McCreary's music is probably the best Godzilla score, and in my opinion, one of the best scores of the last decade. But the original mix loses so much of it under heavy sfx and poor leveling. My dream KOTM edit would be someone fixing the audio levels and prioritizing the wonderful music buried underneath it.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments