9.4 20 10
(Updated: February 12, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

The so-called Monsterverse is a confusing concept for me. Who's in it? Godzilla? King Kong? Their respective nemeses? Lost somewhere between being heroes or villains, superhero or horror they don't seem to belong in any sub-genre.

To begin with...what an awesome trailer and an even more awesome teaser! That teaser made my skin crawl.

If you had
One chance
Or one opportunity
To create an edit that was everything you ever wanted
Out of a movie that you wanted to love but just couldnt
One chance
Or one opportunity to create a perfect edit
Would you do it?

INightmares did.

When I first learned about INIGHTMARES Godzilla King of The Monsters edit, I was very interested. I felt that they had an impressive goal. Cut out all of the cheesy unnecessary jokes and make the edit dramatic, as it should have been.

I previewed the edit and was rocked by the opening sequence. The edit was an almost completely different animal than the movie. It was dark and ominous. That jump scene was a genius idea. I made several suggestions that would further their goal. They were very responsive to ALL input.

Everything looked very hopeful and was on a positive track and then real life happened and it looked like the edit would not get completed. Very depressing, that.

A few weeks later INightmares informed us that they would resume their efforts to bring this deliciously wicked beast to fruition. A few of us got involved in previewing. That turned into Wraith and I reviewing the edit for approval. We both realized INightmare's vision. It is amazing that they didn't lose their cool with us. We put them through the grinder. In some ways, we may have crossed the line. Change this. Add that. Do this to the title card. Use this music. Create a trailer, etc.

INightmares took it all in stride with the patience of Job. They took our ideas and came up with even better ideas of their own. The entire experience was very kinetic and rewarding. The result is above and beyond what any of us expected it could be. I'm not sure that INightmares even realizes the classic monsterverse masterpiece that they have created.

It's a nonstop thrill ride. Literally unrelenting action with huge beasts fighting and killing each other with puny humans trying to manipulate outcomes.

By rearranging and cutting a few scenes, Emma becomes an eco-terrorist villain. We don't like her. Even when she martyrs herself to save Godzilla, we want to blame her for the whole debacle. In this edit, she truly becomes the real monster and I loved that!

King Ghidora may be the coolest CGI creature ever created. The final showdown between Godzilla and King Ghidora is one to rival any gunfight in the old west. Godzilla breathed atomic breath through his disembodied head right after totally kicking his ass. That's unreal! and made far more dramatic in this edit.

When all else is stripped away, it becomes apparent that the original movie's pulpit point is that humans are an infection that has disrupted the natural cycles of the planet. This sets up a complex angle about figuring out how we reconcile the Titans with our own need for expansion and consumption. That's why this edit is so important. It's an allegorical statement for the state of destruction of the earth that we have created and the necessary cleansing that needs to eventually take place. All of the unnecessary garbage has been stripped away to drive that point home. And does it ever.

I was rocked. Few edits have that effect on me.

This is edit is the movie that should have been released. I concur with Wraith, it is one of the best fanedits to be released and is a gamechanger in its scope. I for one completely feel honored to have been a small part of this edit coming to life.

I also concur with Stromboli Bones when they said that they chose to remember this edit as the movie that they saw in the theatre.

Thanks for giving us that!

Yes. A perfect 10 across the board!
Sue me.
Highly recommended!

Note:
If I wasn't aware of the 5.1 Surround version being released which I based this review on, I may have taken some points from the enjoyment score.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply February 20, 2022

Holy cow Art, thank you for the kind words. You're a Godsend good sir ;)

Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments