9.4 21 10
(Updated: February 02, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Well, I Just watched again….(since I was a previewer/approver for this)

It Rocks!!!!

This is Superb work and all the more remarkable from a first time faneditor.

By the time myself and Artisdead saw this for the first time a few months back, the edit was in a near final state and frankly for many viewers, would have been just fine. However, INIGHTMARES wanted to polish this from a "nice shine" to a "highly polished finish" and my word has he achieved that in spades.
The amount of back 'n' forth with those tiny refinements, adjustments, (12 sets of doubleframes appearing randomly in one place) and more, were diligently addressed...with real enthusiasm to boot! And this is your reward viewers...

I'll confess to not having viewed the original since the movie theater and even being confused on Blu Ray ownership...I recorded it off-air AND THAT DOES NOT COUNT (but I knew "I had it" somewhere). So Blu Ray in hand (purchased of course), I watched THIS edit and was impressed by just how well this movie does play with the execessive jokes and 12 rating humour removed (and so much more).

What is even more impressive, is that apart from some minor things I noticed and pointed out (all adressed), I DID NOT NOTICE ANY OF THE SOUND OR MUSIC WORK...and that was on the preview version. In fact, I was so doubtful that a first timer could "FOOL US" a la Penn & Teller, I went back and finaly re-watched the original. "Well I'll be damned"! There really is a ton of work in this, and the result is a masterful upgrading of a really devise 'Zilla movie into a great and enjoyable Dramatic Cut.

The charachers now are believable, more serious and credible all round. In turn, the plot gains credibility too and thus as a viewer, one is immediately more invested. Everything benefits and when you then lay over the scoring adjustments as well, this just shines IMHO.

Are there flaws still. YES, but that is NOT a problem with the edit itself in any way. I crave more Charles Dance, whose role is fully intact but which no longer jarringly diminished by quips and the random utterances of other protagonists that used to pull you out of the movie.

The flow benefits as well, especially with some surgical excisions in a few places that keep the pace and anticipation pitched just right.

And DON'T get me started on the opening....BREATHTAKING choice and execution.

So lets get into the categories....

AV Quality 10 - Near flawless and not enough to drop this a point. There were some audio sync issues in the source material, and even these were corrected.
Visual Editing - 10 Nothing to note save one odd cut which I challenged and it turns out to be in the source material with no remedy.
Audio Editing - 10 Again, nothing to note and as I said above, I missed a bunch of stuff that was done to this.
Narrative - 10 (coz there is no 11, and this now does what it says on the tin).
ENJOYMENT - Derrrrr... 10

What was a popcorn fest now demands your serious consideration; This is the real deal finally (and yes, I've lost count how many times I've watched this, and the opening gets me EVERYTIME).
I for one cannot wait to see what other movies INIGHTMARES will turn his imagination and skills to next.

One word ….
REDEMPTION
Owner's reply February 20, 2022

Thanks Wraith for your time and thoughts! I too wish there was more Charles Dance material to work with. He was underused!

Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments