godfatherlafine_front
FanFix May 07, 2021 3416
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

First things first-- holy FUCK is the editing spectacular. Every scene seems like it's in the exact right place. Kay lighting the candles after the credits is a nice touch. Only a few times does the audio have a small glitch in which a syllable a character utters is muted, but other than that, it's spectacular. There are also new subtitles for scenes entirely in Italian, and they look great.

I have no doubts this edit came out exactly as Wraith intended, given how good it looks and plays. Personally, though, I would have loved to have seen additional edits to change some of my personal least favorite parts of the film that can be fixed through editing. I personally would have cut out the infamous "my lucky coat" line, which can be done with relative ease, as well as kept Michael muted as he screams after Mary's death (as opposed to him being muted, then unmuted, as in this cut and the original). I also would have liked to have seen the text from the end of Godfather Coda after Michael's death, as the point it makes is relevant and poignant. I also wish some scenes that were cut from Coda were also cut from this version, as the film still feels overlong. If someone made a shorter version of this very edit through this method, it would be much more enjoyable.

There are also some problems that Wraith unfortunately couldn't fix, and do not impact my score, but I think are important to those who want to see what this edit's about. There's no changing Sofia Coppola's performance (expect in 4 cut seconds of her making an odd face), or the absence of Tom Hagen, which is only being due to Duvall's refusal to be in the film, whose presence would have made the film better.

This is probably the best version of the Godfather 3 out there right now. Wraith's editing is nearly invisible, and the picture quality is smooth throughout.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
C
Top 1000 Reviewer 2 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments