Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

OUTSTANDING!

I could leave it at that, but I won't.

A Reminder.

Do you recall when you used to watch GOT, that expectation and tension of not knowing what was coming next, revelling in the dialogue and intrigue? Do you recall as the final seasons progressed how tha mood and ambience gradually fell away as characters unravelled, plot lines went askew and modern idiom seem to excessively creep in?

Well, THIS is the final season of GOT we all deserved (with a few personal caveats at the end).

Almightycutie not only achieves his stated objectives, IMO he surpasses them...considerably.

I watched the first few epsisodes with the hangover of dissapointment from their original airings and frankly had low expectations. "As long as it's not shit, I'll be happy". As things progressed though I had that old GOT Viewer vibe back...and I was not dissapointed. I was entralled ALL THE WAY.

The biggest improvements for me were the elimination of "fast travel", removal of modern idiom and the the revised character arcs and fates. I literally can't fault this albeit I did notice some mid scene costume changes a couple of times (but I edit as well so I'm primed for that)...but on both occasions it was only coz I recal the scenes being different and when I rewound to see the scene again THEN I noticed....masterfully executed.

The technical standard here is superlative and with circa 10 hours of material, the one or two audio segues which might be smoother are frankly so minor, no points dedcuted on the 3 technical categories.

Enjoyment: I score a 9 here, reluctantly and that is mainly due how this winds up...There is nothing wrong with the ending per-se, but the choices here did remind me a tad of what the original problems were. Let me be clear though, it is a far more satisfying conclusion and frankly had it been the one that aired, we all would have been ok with it...

Narrative: Again, this is outstanding and I completely agree and understand the choices made to accomplish this outstanding edit. I do however believe that with a little more work, one or two of the "intrigue" plot lines could have been retained/modified/ incorporated in order to keep the threat of the unexpected in regards to character threads, alive. The streamlining of this is a tad too much for my taste, and though it was necessary in order to deliver new outcomes and fates overall, It would be nice if a V2 were to drop back in 10-20 mins overall of a few of those destabilising interactions (even if they do not pay off and the new outcomes are retained). I also fully expected the titles to roll after "the melting" (avoiding spoliers), and the sequence of scenes which followed gave me a Return of the King vibe, with one or two too many scenes. Nothing wrong, just a personal choice. In fact, I think just a reordering of the last 10 minutes might benefit this outstanding edit (with some excision of Jon's reaction shots while on the dragons; he's expert now).

Again, let me be clear, this is outstanding, and is my go to version and anyone who would like to have a satiusfying journey on GOT should absolutely watch this, burn to disc, and slip into your box sets!

REMARKABLE!

Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments