TV-to-Movie December 06, 2021 5636
(Updated: December 17, 2021)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I loved Spense's 2014 edit of the ScfFi Channel mini-series DUNE.

But this. THIS!
THIS IS WHY I STILL WATCH FAN EDITS.
THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!

Using the blue prints of his original fan edit, Spense has constructed a better, stronger and more powerful viewing experience.
This time around, there is more emphasis on relationships and allowing the lead characters to breath more. This in turn, creates a more visceral connection to the story for the audience and makes them more willing to embrace the dense mythology and go on the hero's journey.

And yet, for all this increased character development, the fan edit never sacrifices pacing or action. The less than 3 hour runtime flies by and is fully satisfying.

The editing is ambitious and executed with incredible skill. Spense has rearranged the order of scenes, reframed the material, added music, cut over 90 minutes of material and every remaining scene has been tweaked or trimmed. Technically, on the final version I watched, everything looked and sounded perfect.

While I thoroughly the enjoy the Directors Cut of the 2000 mini--series, Spense has expertly recrafted it into an engaging, fast paced, character rich, epic cosmic movie.

As I said at the beginning, I loved Spense's 2014 version, but this new Revised Cut is a MASTERPIECE.

Two Thumbs Way, WAY UP!!!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments