FanFix August 06, 2012 4908
(Updated: August 22, 2014)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Overview - Flash Gordon was one of a fistful of films that emerged after the Star Wars phenomena. Many were rushed Hollywood SciFi scripts (eg: Black Hole, Meteor, Saturn 3, Battle Beyond The Stars). Flash took a different course, offering spoof over story. Camp more than special effects. The result was a mixed bag.
Havok1977 removed much of the stupidity, making this a sleeker, less dumb version. He also heavily tweaked the original colour design.

Video - Film played OK throughout. I did notice omissions, such as the football sequence, and the cut was abrupt. Maybe one or two others, but they flicked by with little splash. The red shift was noticeable for the whole film. Struck me as a mistake, especially for Earth parts. Also, the whole Mongo world was a glittering, technicolour extravaganza. Here, monochrome ruled.

Note: Other editors forego menus. Had there been a separate award for menu design, this would have won easily. Great go-to example.

Audio - Excellent here.

Narrative - The plot holds. Pacing was quicker, to be sure. This edit is more intelligent than the original. The overall story remains childrens fare, but this child has a brain.

Enjoyment - Acting splits between non-Americans who seriously seem to be having fun with the story, and Yanks who are clumsy and amateurish. In my book, Williams, playing Gordon back in 1974, was less wooden than Jones. Von Sydow is an unforgettable Ming.
Havok’s version was a fun romp, delivering on the promise of what the original ought to have been. By all means, fans should hunt this down.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
DVD
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments