FanMix November 06, 2021 2054
(Updated: November 10, 2021)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Hey there! Happy to see another new Faneditor making their mark! Congrats on the release man!

So, first thing's first, I've never seen anything like this edit. To me it almost didn't feel like I was watching a movie, more like I was watching a heavy action Trailer that spanned an hour. Small bit of dialogue -> huge action setpiece -> more setup dialogue -> huge action setpiece ->rinse repeat -> conclusion.

Now, that might sound like a bad thing here, and I think it may have turned out that way, had it not been for the Halo soundtrack. Damn that was really cool to see some live-action explosions set to the theme that plays at the end of Halo 3 with the Warthog run. Awesome idea dude, no idea how you came up with it. Also, I have to say, the shot at 12:35 (and subsequent few shots) was DOPE!

I think I might have preferred a little bit more character building/dialogue, but that's such a difficult critique to make, because it was your GOAL here to cut as much of that fluff out, and leave the absolute barest amount in that was required for this to be more than just random explosions. Pearl Harbor happens -> it's bad -> America is pissed -> The Battle of Midway is their retribution. Simple. Effective.

I could tell where there was visual and audible editing taking place to overlay some shots of dialogue from one movie + halo music with shots from the other movie, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment. They were seamless, I was just impressed by how well they blended.

Nice work here man, I deliberated on a 9 for Narrative and enjoyment, but your goal here was achieved, and I'm not sure it could have been done any better. This was a fun example of some MASSIVE cutting, and I think you pulled it off flawlessly. Bravo. Not too bad for your First edit, I'd have to say.

Edit - Also I forgot, I said you didn't have enough character development but you found a way to include enough to make me sympathize with the Japanese, and prevent it from coming off as just a piece of pure YEAH AMERICA HAHA WOOOOH so I stand corrected. Great work.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
S
Top 500 Reviewer 27 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments