Review Detail

9.4 22 10
Enjoyment

Well, what can I say? Q2 has done it again! just as promised this version of Ep II, as is Q2′s other edits, they cut anything that breaks continuity with the OT, well mostly. Warning: Spoilers ahead.
It is obvious, and you can’t blame no one, except for Lucas himself, it is impossible to cut all of C3PO and R2. But they’re never referenced by name but that is certainly okay, at least for me. These OT focused cuts, are what really drives me to love these edits. On the other hand I’m not so certain on other thematic matters.
While the droid factory is, for the first time I know of entirely cut, and the wonderful execution of the “toxic dart” plot (and this totally adds to Padme’s character. Although the trial deleted scene might have been a nice addition to add some much need clarification of what exactly is going on) there are several times I asked myself, “What?” Several examples come up. One, I always liked the “I hate it when he does that” line, when you properly cut all the sh*t between Anakin and Obi-Wan, that line changes meaning, and in my mind, makes it feel like they’re best friends, in the way that they like to poke at each other from time to time. Another thing was Obi-Wan going to get a drink. For one, it’s humor, but not childish humor. And two, it adds a lighter tone to the mind tricks used in “A New Hope”. Another thing, was the action between Jango and Obi on Kamino. Just gonna say it. It screams PT! I would much rather have cut it down similar to L8’s version and replaced it with the sequence over Geonosis. “This is why I hate flying”. Now what I cannot believe is that, “I have a bad feeling about this…” is cut. It’s legendary Star Wars! No further explanation. Finally, I would have cut the public execution scene down further, it just felt a tad long compared to the rest of the pacing. Otherwise, the edit was perfect.
Anyhow, I highly recommend seeing this edit for anyone here. It might or might not be your go-to version of Ep II.
Great Job, Q2! 9/10
Owner's reply August 24, 2012

Thank you for the review Stardood. I would like to address one of your comments, that of cutting R2D2 and C-3PO. While I had hoped to remove them from all the films completely that turned out to not be possible. I even attempted to re-color them so that they’d appear like different droids but, again, not possible. In the end I cut them as much as possible and never had them addressed by name. My hope was that by doing this it would appear they were just droids and nothing more.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments