Review Detail

9.3 35 10
FanFix June 02, 2012 10534
Enjoyment

Well. I never thought it was possible, you saved this picture. The problems with pacing/shitty dialogue/dumb humour is so massively solved in your edit that I’m not going to go into too much detail with that I’ll just assure anyone thinking of watching this that if those were the problems you had with the original cut of the film they are well and truly gone here.

With some neat cuts in dialogue and one well placed cut in the action early on you turned Qui-Gon from ‘that dude..with..the beard..was he.. shmee’s brother?..who was he again?’ into this awesome headstrong Jedi James Bond, killing first and asking questions later. Roguishly disregarding the councils wishes.

The way you used the usually dull Tattooine section to develop the characters was great. By cutting Annikans screen time you managed to make him a pretty likeable character, he doesn’t seem in anyway like the focus of the film, which always spoiled the original cut. Instead he’s just some really brave kid that randomly risks his life for some strangers. We like Qui-gon more because he acts like he doesn’t give a fuck about anything with his ‘I didn’t come here to free slaves’ swagger. But then let’s us know he really does with a few of those Neeson side Grins.

Perhaps the best thing about this whole edit (SPOILERS) was the way you reworked the jedi council scene so that Obi Wan seems rejected and bitter about Qui Gon ditching him for
Annikan. That adds such an interesting dynamic to their relationship, especially when you cut Qui Gon’s death speech. So we’re left with Obi Wan loosing the father he worshipped (but who rejected him) without any closure, and then taking up Annikan as his own son as if Qui Gon totally asked (when really he totally didn’t). This little touch suddenly made the psychology and relationships between the male characters in the prequels a hell of a lot more interesting, especially with all the father stuff going on in the original trilogy.

SO yeah, jeez, nice job.
S
2 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments