9.5 34 10
(Updated: February 12, 2016)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

THIS IS IT. This is the edit that made me realize how much a talented, imaginative and passionate individual can change/improve/transform a movie. This is the edit that made me write my first review. I have seen other edits. Good edits that add some scenes, remove some scenes, improve the pace, the narrative etc. But nothing had prepared me for this. This is an unbelievable achievement and my go-to edit to prove to other people the power of fan edits.

I first watched Dune as a kid in the late 80s/early90s. I was mesmerized by the visuals, but didn't understand s**t. Then I watched it again after reading the book and didn't like many parts of the movie. The pacing was bad, the script at places was bad, uneven... but certain aspects like the art direction impressed me, and I found Lynch's vision and atmosphere very fitting... when it worked.
Then came the extended edition. It added many interesting deleted scenes, but the overall result was of bad quality. The storybook intro was amateurish and the added scenes were just thrown in there without even some added effects. The Third stage edition fanedit managed to vastly improve the above extended edition and it was my definite version... up until spicediver did his magic.

The change in the pace is phenomenal. The Book-Chapter separation works really good and many scenes have been very cleverly altered to fit the mood. The removal of most of the inner voiced dialog improves the movie immensely. Technically this edit is perfect in my eyes and considering the some of radical changes, this is a huge achievement. The fact that this fanedit includes English subtitles is another big plus. I wish more faneditors did this. Even if I consider myself pretty fluent in English, I usually choose to watch movies with English subtitles because they help me a lot, especially with strange accents and/or low voices. Faneditors should have in mind that non-native English speakers always welcome English subtitles.

Anyway, this fanedit is a testament of talent and love to the franchise as a whole. This edit transformed an interesting but deeply flawed gem into a brilliant movie. Thank you.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
DVD
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
August 12, 2016
Gosh. Don't know what to say about your review really. Expect THANKYOU for the love, The years of toil making this edition feels to me like it was worth it. :)
S
spicediver
1 results - showing 1 - 1