Review Detail

8.0 20 10
FanFix August 05, 2012 4419
(Updated: September 02, 2012)
Enjoyment

February 27, 2011

Wow! I needed this!
This is an excellently thought out, well executed and surgical rescue of all the potential that exists in Indiana Jones 4.

The title change is the first indication of what’s so smart about this one. “The Skull Kingdom Mystery” points out what Indiana Jones’ quest really is. He isn’t going after an object this time– he doesn’t just want a skull– he’s trying to figure out what happened to Ox, what are these skulls and what do they (the skulls themselves) want. Without this clue in the title of the release version, the release version felt like an unfocused mess because it didn’t know what it was about.

With that kind of insight applied throughout the movie, every scene has been analyzed and refocused. Now everything is pared down to its purpose and the story practically blossoms as a result. Characters now do more than function, they intrigue. I care about Mac’s betrayal for the first time. I wonder at and believe in Spalko’s commitment. I believe in Mutt’s attachment to Ox and (most important) I understand Indy’s emotions in every scene.

Losing big sequences (like the graveyard fight and the ants) keeps the powerful focus going. This isn’t just a “cut the crap” edit. This edit wants you to care about the characters and their quest– and it succeeds.

The biggest surprise to me was the ending which was such a blur of half-baked ideas in the original. The clarity in this edit meant that I was actually on the edge of my seat about what these Crystal Skulls were about and what they wanted from Indy and Ox.

I just can’t recommend this enough. I found the opening changes to be exactly the right idea (although I wish the actual title card were bigger or done in the same font as the title of Raiders). I also wish it was “Indiana Jones and the…” instead of “Dr. Jones and the…” — but I can see what the editor is going for in that. That may grow on me.

There are a couple left over goofy beats that I wish we could have lost– like when Indy says “ouch” after Spalko lightly taps his cheeks or when Mac finishes the points of the compass for Indy– but in the original these awful moments seemed to never end. Now they stand out as the only moments that don’t work.

So, Wraith, you have my eternal gratitude and I give this a very impressed 9/10.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments