Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Enjoyment

August 15, 2009

Review by Captain Khajiit

**Warning!**

**This review contains spoilers!**

I think very highly of the original film, and consider the theatrical version almost perfect, so I had mixed feelings about a fanedit. Nonetheless, I gave it a go.

The removal of the FBI story increased the pace of the film considerably, and this made for an exciting ride. It’s definitely a new way to view the film. In fact, the whole concept of the edit was rather creative, and it really begins to grow on you when you get into the film.

The cuts are sensible given the aim of the edit and are more or less seamless, even when one knows the original as well as I do. My only wish is that the faneditor had found a way to remove the fact that Donnie is an FBI agent at the end, and devise a new ending to the film. Although I acknowledge the great difficulties this would involve, the way the edit ended didn’t quite feel right for me. It does pass as a surprise ending, but I feel the scene when Donnie hides the article from Leftie on the plane anticipates it, and really should have been removed.

Editing: 9 out of 10 for the editing itself
Entertainment: 8 out of 10 (original theatrical cut 9 out of 10; original extended edition 8 out of 10 – I include the latter just for comparison)

Image and video quality: The video quality was excellent all round. 10 out of 10
Audio editing and audio quality: 10 out of 10
Presentation: nice cover art and appropriate static menu but no scene selection – 8 out of 10

Overall: 8.5 out of 10 (I rounded it up to 9 to vote above, as one cannot give half stars)

I found this to be a pleasant surprise and a genuinely new take on a classic gangster movie. Would I recommend it? Forget about it! (i.e. yes)

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
C
Top 500 Reviewer 33 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments