Doctor Strange: Dark DimensionsFeatured
Marvel Studios: The Infinity Saga Bonus Disc - The alternate ending was featured on this disc, and subsequently used
Doctor Strange (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Sanctimonious Sanctum Sacking was used to fix up the audio in the Kaecilius sanctum fight
macmilln for watching a preview and giving feedback
- Torn Pages from Cagliostro (Deleted Scenes)
- cut the Wi-Fi joke with Mordo, instead there's an establishing shot to show a passage of time, and a silent moment as Strange looks at the watch
- cut "just Wong? like Adele or Beyonce?"
- cut the Google Translate joke, made Wong walking past the camera into a wipe transition, a tad Edgar Wright-esc
- cut "Try me Beyonce" and "C'mon she's a big star" and subsequent dialogue
- changed Wong's song while Strange is stealing his books from Beyonce
- trim the Cloak of Levitation grabbing Kaecilius' hand twice while he tries to stab Strange twice
- trim the Cloak's extended scene of trying to point Strange towards the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak
- cut Mordo saying "It's true, she does draw power from the dark dimension", it was a bit too on the nose for my liking
- cut the Cloak trying to wipe away Strange's tears
- cut Wong laughing at Strange's joke about warnings
- cut the mid-credits scene with Thor as it's a bit outdated and shows most of his appearance in that film
Dr. Strange has excellent visuals but felt it was bogged down by some of the stale Marvel-type jokes that were forced, and some overlong sequences. Also, the prolouge seemed too much too soon after my first rewatch, and Bobson comes out of the gate by removing that copletely, with barely anythign lost. Now, we learn the mystics arts with Dr. Strange, and are amazed alongside him, giving us a better connection to him.
Gones are also some of the forced jokes, such as the one on Wifi. Bobson replaces that with a scene helping to show that time has gone by during Steven's studying, which before seemed like he learned the magic over a couple days instead of much longer.
Finally, the alternate ending makes the movie self-contained, and makes Mondo's possible turn more subtle.
Overall, I enjoyed this cut of the movie more, with its brighter colors and seamless edits. It makes it ready for a rewatch before the second Dr. Strange (which now has been pushed back to 2022, which means I will for sure come back to this fanedit as my go-to version).
I watched a near-finished preview of this edit just over a month ago, here's my review copy/pasted from the thread:
Watched this morning...
"Crazy how cutting only a few minutes here have completely fixed the tonal and pacing issues of the film. Obviously there's more to it than that - you used some clever editing (both visually and aurally) to change the flow of many moments, and even after scrolling through your cutlist I never once actively thought "oh - that was edited". The colour grade is also amazing - makes the film look good even on my shitty second monitor.
I enjoyed this film more than I ever have before - not to mention that new ending! Great work, can't wait to see more from you soon!"
In addition to this review, I also mentioned a couple places with room for improvement, both of which Dugnutt addressed promptly, and excellently. The final version of this edit remains my go-to, and is a must-watch for anyone who is a fan of the original (or, alternatively, who wasn't fond of the original because of the out-of-place humour and other stuff this edit successfully attempted to fix.)