9.1 6 10
(Updated: May 16, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

As for the last 10 months I am doing only more or less grindhoused edits I had to check that one out.
First thing - very nice trailers (what was the voice?), especially the second one, and opening grindhouse footage as well. As for the look - sometimes I felt that some of the print damage looks a little too soft compared to the actual footage (and some of the overlays felt like being on quite a short loop), but it didn't really diminish the experience.

Even if it was shorter (and different as there is some deleted footage incorporated) I've felt somehow that it was as long as original Also, it looks like (and I was expeting that) Krausfadr was going for more accurate grindhouse feel than I usually do. So, all the music from 60-70s etc (or at least sounds like that). That's not a bad thing at all, but I feel that using more variety of music sometimes helps to highlight some scenes a little. Here, sometimes I felt that there is a similar feel most of the time which was a little bit tiring sometimes. On the other hand, the music worked well most of the time, sometimes even great. Also, I'd put some more music into the ending, because there was quite a long period of time with no music at all if I remember correctly.

I've also felt, that the music used fits Blade Runner and the mood of the movie a little too much. Almost like something that could be there originally, that is an advantage (because, well, it works) and disadvantage at the same time, because when the change of tone isn't that big, the experience doesn't feel so much different than watching the original.

That being said, it is still quite interesting and enjoyable experience, especially for fans of "grindhousediting" ;). Some nice touches here and there make me laugh, like some of the dialogue from long-nosed JF Sebastian's little friend, or Pris acrobatics.

So, what we got here isn' an upgrade (which was to be expected), but still very nice, stylish version of the all time classic, with some nice ideas included, but maybe just a little too close to the original movie's feel.

Recommended.

G
1 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments