dicktracynoir_front
FanFix June 01, 2021 3364
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I'm a fan of the original and I am happy to say I'm happy with this take on the story. For anyone who felt the original was to over the top or couldn't handle the comic book color this edit is the one you are looking for! There is a nice and tight Noir thriller that has been brought to the light with this edit. Between the sharpening of Tracy's devotion and faithfulness to Tess (which I liked from the Trueheart edit) and the new score this edit is the one I'll recommend in the future to people who didn't like the original.

I've done some B&W conversions on still images so I know it can be hard to find a good conversion for everything and there are some scenes were the midtones are just wrong and others where the editor seems to have been unable to find a way to keep the high contrast, sharp B&W look they used everywhere else. Particularly the crucial scene when Tracy looks down on Tess at the end and the Chief's face a few scenes later it looks particularly bad but given the quality of the rest of the conversion I have to fault the source and not the editor. Perhaps if we someday get a 4K HDR release of this film another go could be made at those couple scenes with more success.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments