counselorse_front
FanFix September 09, 2020 1937
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Yep! With this edit, The Counselor is now the grimy, monologue-filled, daylight-drenched neo-noir it promised to be. I wouldn't lose anything. I tried watching the extended cut again about a year ago, and not even Pandemic lockdown could get me through it - so as far as I remember, I wouldn't add anything back either.

When I originally watched the movie, it left me cold and unimpressed. The trims made here by Walkupkeo sharpen the film into what it's setting itself up to be in the opening scenes - the writer's meditation on our lack of heroes.

There were a few bits of score in the latter part of the movie - car chase, two other places I can't remember - that I'd love to see go as they did nothing but distract but doesn't affect my rating.

I highly recommend it! Fun and heartbreaking performances, interesting if uncomplex characters, great dialogue and writing in general (especially how the tournament the Counselor goes through is set up with only descriptions), and steady if uninspired direction.

Great, hopeless neo-noir that isn't a slog to watch and would be at home in the brief neo-noir rebirth of the '90s.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments