9.5 11 10
FanFix April 22, 2019 3452
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

First of all, let me start by saying that the decision to remove several lines of dialogue and some sublots was absolutely correct, in my opinion.

The talk with the alien is a little more rational and grounded now. The rest of the changes on the 3rd act also keep the story more focused and with a clear direction. The ending is now great, that is the best place to close the story.

My only point of (constructive) criticism is at 1h37m time (the farewell scene with Palmer). On a single cut near the end of that scene, on both video and audio, the cut is too obvious and "out of place". This is likely due to the fact that there is no way around it, considering the choice of changing Palmer's stupid sabotaging (and I absolutely agree with that change).

I would suggest it would be better to remove that entire scene, I don't think the story loses anything (the way it works now) if Palmer is not there to say goodbye. Ellie's personality and the way she is presented to us doesn't require a "farewell scene" at all.

Actually, her other close friend, Kent, also travels to Japan (we see him inside the control room and he is crucial in that scene), but he doesn't have to say goodbye to Ellie and it works fine that way. I would therefore argue that the same thing happening with Palmer would be just fine (only being present in the control room would be enough).

In this way, the cut would happen just after the Japanese men says "Dr. Arroway, time to get ready" and the film would go directly to the elevator door opening scene.

Another argument for this: Palmer and Ellie's hug, after her hearing, as well as his little speech after that, already serve as the culmination of their relationship.

This is now, for sure, my go-to version of the film.
Thanks for this!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments