FanFix July 12, 2012 2692
(Updated: August 28, 2012)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Enjoyment

Prologue:
I liked the original CLOVERFIELD, still I was kind of intrigued by this fanedit, because so much was deleted from it and with 54 true movie minutes this can be easily called drastically edited. DonnieX had already impressed me with his take on THE OTHERS a long time ago, which unfortunately was never released in a quality that could be enjoyed. Still I knew from this experience that it could be worth giving his new one a shot.
As for all my reviews: this is just my personal opinion of this fanedit. I cannot tell anybody else, if he or she will experience it in the same way or the opposite. So my review is not objective and does not reflect the opinion of fanedit.org.

!!!!This review contains heavy spoilers!!!

The edit:
The first thing that actually made me wonder was the image quality, because the image is unsharp and some movements look blurry. My original is a lot better quality. Still, as it is camcorder footage I was able to think it might be a cheaper model and so it did not bother me too much.
The beginning is heavily cut, which leads to Hud doing a truly lousy job interviewing the guests, because he only does it with his friends. As that it did not entirely convince me, on the other hand I was happy to get a lot faster to the point of action.
The hard cuts sometimes felt a bit weird, when the break was short and for no good reason, still it worked pretty well. The plot about the fugitives is well developed and keeps all the tension of the original, if not even more, because the dragging moments have been erased. With the movie being so short, I now saw a lot more of the monster and the little monsters and that just felt great, because it was to me the major flaw of the original: not enough monster scenes. The Blair Withc Project style got almost deleted with that, because DonnieX’ edit is so straight to the action.
Personally I would have loved new end credits. 11 minutes of original end credits felt unneeded to me and did not really support the fanedit.
This was a good fanedit and I enjoyed watching it.
editing: 7 of 10,
entertainment: 8 of 10

Image and video quality:
The image quality was a bit below average. The image was unsharp and many scenes with high movement were blurry, as if a blend deinterlace filter had been used. It was acceptable though, because the camcorder could have very well been a cheaper model.
Video quality: 5 of 10

Audio editing and audio quality:
The audio editing was good. It is 192kbit ac-3 stereo. Sound levels were all good and I did not notice any particular errors there. It was kind of an easy job though, because of the camcorder footage.
audio editing: 8 of 10
audio quality: 7 of 10

presentation:
The DVD comes with a still main menu, a chapters menu and a hidden bonus menu featuring a trailer and a bit of info on DonnieX previous fanedits. There is no cover art yet. The menus all look quite cheap and come with no audio. A little bit more would have been nice.
DVD menus: 3 of 10, no cover art 1 of 10, extras: 5 of 10, existence of menus, chapters and extras: 10 of 10

This results in a 5 of 10 rating from me for presentation.

Final result: 7 of 10.
This is a nice fanedit IMO that can be enjoyed by everyone, who liked the original and has no problem with extreme shaky cam. DonnieX improved on the original movie and I for one will watch this one rather than my original DVD. There is room for more improvement with improved image quality, self created end credits, better menus and cover art.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments