FanFix July 03, 2014 7110
(Updated: October 31, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Watching this edit makes you wonder: why didn’t the filmmakers themselves do it this way? Why make it so hard on themselves with that quick and hard-to-follow edit? With this fanedit at least one can invest in the characters and the stories, and really being moved by them. I even noticed some details I always missed when watching the theatrical cut.

Having read the book before I saw the movie, I expected this fanedit to be exactly like the book. The editor however chose to start (and end) the movie in the same way as the theatrical version, which is actually way better than sticking 100% to the book, because this way the viewer is better prepared for what’s to come.
I think it would have further improved the storytelling to repeat the prologue-shots of the 1973 story during the actual 1973 story, and one or two slow-motion shots during that part of the movie were perhaps a little too slow to be convincing.

But those are very minor details. Seeing this fanedit was almost like seeing the movie for the first time, and it brought back happy memories of reading the book. So here’s a big thankyou to Avid 4D. And to everyone else: skip the theatrical version - you only need this one.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments