Charlie & The Chocolate Factory: Book Cut Edition
Software Used: Premiere Pro, vobedit, ifoedit, The GIMP, audacity, GPAC (MP4Box)
- The Narrator
- All Willy Wonka childhood scenes and all references to it
- Charlie does not tinker a model chocolate factory out of toothpaste caps
- Charlie eats his birthday chocolate bar alone. It's HIS birthday present!
- Charlie does not want to sell the golden ticket. He's a boy! He wants to see the factory from the inside
- Burning puppet theater (I'm still sorry for that)
- Elevator ride trimmed: pink sheep, management department, stupid candy cannons and puppet hospital cut
- Willy does not try to persuade Charlie to leave his family alone
- Several text cards and subtitles
- 3 second deleted scene (Oompa-Loompa Song for Violet Beauregard)
- Customized opening and end titles to hide the names of the actors who played deleted characters
- continuity error when Willy Wonka closes the gate to his factory - now the gate closes in chronological order
Foreword: I haven't seen the original in sometime, which I prefer for watching edits and I also didn't review the changes (log) ahead of watching, which I also prefer. I looked at the edit list back when I downloaded the edit, but I like to not know what I'm walking into; I don't watch an edit for a few months or more after downloading it.
What I liked: The edit felt stream lined but still entertaining. I didn't feel like anything was missing with the storyline.
What I didn't: I would have had it ending with the elevator blasting off and then explain what was next for Charlie like in the book. Also, some of the subtitles (narration) you added felt redundant at times and others scenes would have benefited with some narration. An example: you explain what each child is like but I think it is very obvious what type of child they are by their intros. You can contact me if you want some more specifics.
Overall: I enjoyed this but didn't feel it would replace the original. I would recommend people check this out if looking for a different take on this movie, otherwise I'd stay with the classic version.
Extra: Some of the scenes cut in were a lot lower quality, which is not your fault and made them standout. The new footage might blend better with the main footage, if the main footage was slightly lower quality too? Just a thought.
Lastly, keep up the good work!
This edit was quite a bit of fun, but sadly had it's technical issues :(
It's amazing that this movie is already ten years old, before I never really liked Tim Burton's take on the story and always preferred the original but this movie has grown on me although I still had problems with it. This edit eliminates most of the issues seamlessly, Willy Wonka's dad is gone (thank god), strange humour is gone, and Charlie is no longer the most saint-like child on the damn planet. The movie did confuse me at the beginning with the extremely long introduction that contained really long stills that explains the characters but I think the same thing could have been done just with the narration at the intro and just leaving out the description of the other kids as we just meet them when Charlie does later in the film. I understand that this is a "book cut" but it doesn't literally have to be 100% on par with what the book says, especially when it's just the prologue.
Sadly needs improvement, the movie comes in a 4:3 format even though the original footage used was obviously widescreen because everything looks so narrow (of course I fixed this with some quick tv settings but the edit should come with the proper aspect ratio)
The edit also drops in resolution in scenes where footage is re-arranged and modified during the songs to remove the kid that the Oompa-Loompas are singing about, this really is noticeable and takes me out of the experience
Seamless other than the resolution problem mentioned earlier
Simpler, better, more fun, fast paced movie.
The movie was definitely improved but technical issues need to be addressed.