Review Detail

8.5 14 10
FanFix May 31, 2008 3726
Enjoyment

I really enjoyed this edit and I agree with most of the comments above that it could have been even better, with more drastic cuts. I don’t think that the plots were too separate at the beginning. It leaves the audience wondering “where is the connection?” but then again...

I DID guess beforehand that Carl would end up in a coma (I didn’t read up on the storyline), since there is so much coma doctor stuff going on right from the beginning.
Perhaps cutting out Catherine until after Carl is in a coma would work. Why not? His going into coma would come more of a suprise. Plus, we don’t really need to see the pretty landscape of Edwars’s mind at great length. It slows things down too much.
Only the interrupted Edward mind scene would be enough and we see the FBI there when she comes out of it.

I also would cut out Carl being abused as a child. I would cut out child Carl as much as possible. The reason being is that without seeing his being abused, he becomes more of a monster and more evil. The only mention of his abuse would be adult Carl telling us in the bathtub scene, before Catherine demands to know where Julia(?) is, but even that may be unnecessary. If that can be cut, what the heck, cut that too.
Not even knowing at all that he was abused would be fantastic.

After all, what made Halloween such a great movie? We knew NOTHING about the killer’s motives… and it makes him that much more scarier. A little mystery can go a long way.

Bottom line is, diluted evil is NOT scary enough. Pure evil is where it’s at.
A tortured soul is not nearly as scary as a soul-less torturer.

Also, at the end, a “reversal” is mentioned but we never know what it is and we also don’t know Carl’s fate. To solve that, I would leave that scene as it is but then, before the end credits, we see an abbreviated version of the “reversal” and Carl’s fate.
A nice stabbing and seeing a close up of Carl’s demon face just before the fade to black would leave the viewer with a strong, lasting impression.

The only thing that is not fixable is the fact that the missing girl could have been found quickly just by following up on the weird logo right from the beginning. I could not help thinking the whole way through the movie that the girl will be found through investigating real estate ownership and this whole ordeal would be pointless. I wasn’t that far off, unfortuneatly.

Hmmm… that makes me think of another cut to fix that. By cutting those close ups of that logo early in the movie would have at least made me less distracted, so I would cut that too.

I also vote for a version 2. Since I really did enjoy this ALOT.

Highly recommended!

8/10
Z
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments