7.6 3 10
FanMix March 31, 2007 2549
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

this is actually a great idea. no wilson?!? that alone makes this a better movie. how annoying was that?

to me cast away was just not a great story to begin with. also, i really dislike helen hunt. that can’t be positive for reviewing so i’ll try to pretend like i didn’t say that…

the line “i’ll be right back” is a real groaner, but kinda required once you include the reference kelly makes to it at the end of the movie.

there are a lot of different directions you could take with the backstory of cast away and it is disappointing to be just truncated as it is here, but jorge has a clearly a better, tighter version of the story.
but

i think with cast away, you just don’t get this sense that chuck and kelly are soulmates – or much in love at all for that matter. that makes chuck’s preoccupation with her during his time on the island as more of a focusing device rather than a longing for love. this also makes kelly’s reaction to his rescue and chuck’s behavior slightly odd. could be me just being crazy, tho.

entertainment 7/10 – cast away isn’t all that great of setup story – the real interest is in chuck’s experience on the island, and this is considerably more enjoyable to watch now.
fanediting 8/10 – there are a few imperfect transitions, but otherwise well executed.
video 710 – a bit soft and pixelated, especially in most darker scenes.. otherwise brighter scenes look great. probably a re-encoding issue.
audio 9/10 – good…
presentation 9/10 – full motion dvd and fun menus. also, a montage of edited “wilson!” moments and some cheeky introductory editing.
original 7/10 – i wasn’t a big fan of castaway, but tom hanks’ performance (although somewhat annoying) is at times fantastic.
fanedit 7.5/10 – an improvement and overall this is a satisfying watch. not great. but worth it.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments