FanMix April 21, 2012 5515
(Updated: August 22, 2012)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

“Captain America: The Steve Rogers Cut” is an interesting edit. You have edited “Captain America: The First Avenger” into a shorter, faster-paced version that differs from the original in interesting ways. I say “differs” because I don't find it so much an improvement as an alternate version with its own strengths and weaknesses.

In the original movie, the second half felt a bit slow, but your edit makes the whole movie speed by. Unfortunately, while that is one of the main strengths of your edit, it’s also one of the weaknesses. For example, while the removal of Johann Schmidt’s scenes did make the first part of the movie flow better, it weakened it later on. When Schmidt finally takes of his mask to reveal himself as the Red Skull, it no longer has any impact, and the rivalry between Captain America and the Red Skull now seem almost like a footnote. I also felt that Schmidt had more presence when he was wearing the mask than as the Red Skull, so I missed seeing him with the mask on. I also felt that you removed/shortened some lines that should have stayed, such as “I have seen the future, Captain! It has no flags!”. However, a lot of your edits worked brilliantly. Most of the action scenes have a better flow to them, and parts of the movie that previously went slowly are now fast-paced. My overall opinion is mixed, but mostly positive. I feel that you cut out some fat, but took some of the meat with it.

The video quality on the DVD version is actually higher than on the official DVD of “Captain America: The First Avenger”. I haven't seen the HD versions, but I'm sure they are top-notch as well. Almost all of the cuts you made were seamless, although some did make scenes feel a little too abrupt.

Overall, I feel that you succeeded in your goal: to create a version of “Captain America: The First Avenger” that focuses more on Steve Rogers and speeds up the pacing, and that you have made some improvements in the overall flow of the movie. However, I also feel that you also removed a little too much at times.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments