9.4 7 10
FanFix August 17, 2010 3713
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Firstly, I'll say this undoubtedly improves on the movie by favoring a streamlined narrative over the longer running time. It still can't make this into an action film though, which is its strength. The decision to remove basically the central plot point (not fully shown until the end of the film) is probably a smart one. However, it removes just about the only interesting thing in the movie.

The film looks washed out (no fault of the editor) and the score might be the least interesting thing Atticus Ross has ever done. The performances are generally good, but the basic plot is just too simple and uninvolving. Despite reworking the narrative, I still just can't think of a reason to watch this movie when the Mad Max series exists, much less others. The reworking of the narrative does also leave a few scenes feeling a bit abrupt, too.

Technically very well done, but sadly just can't turn a lackluster movie into a good one. Unless you're profoundly Christian, I guess, then have at it.
Full review of the regular film here, if anyone's interested: https://letterboxd.com/nottheacademy/film/the-book-of-eli/

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments