FanMix June 29, 2014 8356
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

well this was a doozy of an edit.

I'm kind of like WORN OUT by Blade Runner tweaks and thsi intrigued me from the off...High Contrast B&W? Differnt story angle...HMMMM aint gonna work.....BUT IT DOES.

Off the bat, an incredibly bold reordering of material, especially at the beginning. The fact I have seen the original 30, 40, 50 times...I thought would be a hinderance but genius stroke 1...B&W. That pulled me into a different world. I was able to but into the structure immediatelt.

The audio work was by and large very good. There was on part at the beginning where there appeared to be an audio glitch in a shot where pris and Sebastian are about to go into the building but beyond that all great. It was interesting that by pulling out a lot of the love story element one got the feeling that Decker was just a bored pissed off cop (or was that Harrison Ford being pissed off with Ridley Scott)...nver mind...it worked.

For my taste, I love the B&W but wondered if it could have been even more aggressive in contrast? I might test it for myself to see? But I liked that look...A LOT.
Video editing was flawless. The music choice at the open set things up tonally very well indeed...and the ending felt more brutal as a result of what did (and did not) preceed it.

My two scores of 7 are reflective of the fact I dont think you could do a better job of the narrative with the material available and in that respect is indicative of what the clarity of plot felt like...It is not a reflection that I think more could be done.... On the contrary.

My 8 on visual quality is (as another reviewer commented) that I thought the B&W could have been more consistently graded but that could be an artefact of the original materials, my TV settings or even the source material (which is consistently dark so I imagine that this was far harder to grade than one might think).

I for one look forward to more bold re-imagining from Ranger 613 and thank him for the early view availability.

I for one will not be re-watching any Blade Runner fanedits again (I'm worn out & have settled on the Final Directors Cut)....EXCEPT THIS ONE sir!!!!....Cover printed, disc burnt...and on my shelf....(that's a high threshold indeed).

WELL DONE

W

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply July 07, 2014

Thank you very much for the kind words, and for taking the time out to watch and review this! I truly appreciate it my friend and am glad you enjoyed it. I'm honored you would consider this shelf-worthy, and will continue to try to put out interesting work for you to enjoy. Cheers man! :)

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments