FanFix June 30, 2020 3270
(Updated: May 06, 2023)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I'm a fan of the original Blade Runner as anyone else since having to study it for Film & Media years ago. But I'll come clean now in this review by saying that I was never a fan of whatever this turned out to be, except for the visuals. I still have the DVD lying in a box in the attic and quite honestly the disc only came out the case once, the only other time I can remember seeing this was in the cinema itself...So I think that could quite possibly explain why the Joi character is complete mystery to me? Anyway, I cannot remember her and that alone spoke volumes to me. So I thought if I can't remember her, I may as well watch it in this way with a fresh pair of eyes without Joi,,,well, my first thoughts after watching this edit was "could we do another edit without Niander Wallace too?"

All I can say is that the Joi character was probably not needed as the plot goes along fine without her and thank goodness the film is shorter! Whatever there is left of the plot is pretty much the barebones from what I can remember from the two viewings I saw. I slightly disagree with another reviewer about K's motivations. I think the mystery behind the "replicant birth" (oh dear!) is probably enough to send him over the edge, especially when he's directed to erase all his memories about such a massive historical moment for him. Of course he's going to rebel! And K just gets sucked into the mystery of existence itself and that works for me.

Any cuts made I didn't notice. Visuals and audio are all superb. I had to rate 'enjoyment' slightly lower as I cannot pretend to have done a complete 180° and become a massive fan. Removing the Joi character alone cannot save it and I'm not sure what else can be done, but on the editing itself, it's an improvement on "2049" nonetheless.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments