FanFix March 30, 2018 8637
(Updated: April 21, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Full disclosure. I love the Blade Runner franchise and most everything by Ridley Scott (Legend (1985) is a guilty pleasure). I consider Blade Runner (1982) a masterpiece and I have two (2) fanedits (The Penultimate (TM2YC) and Extended Edition (ADigitalMan)) which are quintessential in my film collection. When I heard that Blade Runner 2049 (2017) was being made I was very interested, to put it mildly, to see the next chapter of the franchise. It is a very good movie, mind you not directed by Scott, but never the less a worthy addition to the lore. If I had a criticism it would be the pacing. As great of a movie that it is, there are points where it feels like it slows, almost to a stop. So I when I saw that an edit had been released which said it was going to fix that very thing I had to to see how brilliant this diamond could become.

After watching I can say, without a doubt, this edit is superior to the theatrical release. As it is stated in the description of the edit, everything in the original release is here but with a runtime 13 minutes shorter. It is also surprising how the trimming of the little bit of fat present improved the pacing so much. It really is a testament to the skill of the editor that he was able to do so much by changing so little.

This edit is my preferred version of 2049 and I would recommend it to anyone who has watched the theatrical release, as well as anyone who has not. I would normally say that you should really watch the director's original vision before watching an edit, but since this edit doesn't remove any story, I think it is safe to say the viewer would get the same vision, just in a slightly faster, but superior, pace.

On back to back days I have watched Blade Runner: The Penultimate Cut and Blade Runner: Aerodynamik, both by TM2YC. Taking two (2) excellent films and making them more than what they were is really a quite a feat and I appreciate the time and effort you took and your generosity in sharing them with the community.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments