Black Panther: Long Live the King (f.k.a. Wakanda Forever)

Updated

9.9 (14)
7558 0 1 0 10
blackpantherking_front
Faneditor Name:
Original Movie Title:
Fanedit Type:
Original Release Date:
Original Running Time:
Fanedit Release Date:
Fanedit Running Time:
Time Cut:
Time Added:
Available in HD?
Brief Synopsis:
BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER is a light edit. We see more of King T'Chaka and his brother early on, establishing the old king as a less idealized character. A glimpse of young T’Challa as contrast to Erik’s childhood. The weakest CGI shots are trimmed from the rhinos in battle and the climax in the mine. T'Challa at the United Nations is extended and placed before his trip to Oakland, giving it the weight it deserves.
Intention:
Watching this in the cinema, I got pulled out of the film by the distracting transition from Black Panther the movie to Black Panther the video game with the poor CGI during the rhinos in battle and the final battle in the mine. It bothered me more, knowing that they could have done it better. This is 2018 and Marvel / Disney / Lucasfilm have amazingly talented people.
- Remove bad CGI: several small trims in final cave fight.

I love the deleted scene of young T'Challa telling his dad he'll protect him when he grows up. It fits perfectly after we see (then not yet named) Erik left behind in Oakland. That contrast is made all the more powerful by showing dad killing his brother then instead of later via flashback.

The UN scene at the end closes with a question to T'Challa how Wakanda will make a difference. We, the audience, see his answer in Oakland. By moving the UN scene from mid-credits to before Oakland, it flows more logically and we get the question before the answer.
Release Information:
Digital
Special Features
1080p
5.1 Surround
English subtitles
Cuts and Additions:
1) Trim visually distracting shots because they pull me out of the movie. Several CGI shots look like we switched from the film to a computer game. I find that terribly distracting. Trimming these requires only minimal cuts.
- Cut most of T'Challa's flashback from Cap3 (redundant and distracting visual filter).
- Remove bad CGI: small trim to rhinos in battle.
- Remove bad CGI: several small trims in final cave fight.

2) Raise the emotional stakes at the start.
- Integrate part of flashback of T'Chaka killing his brother into beginning. Cut part of later Zuri exposition to T'Challa accordingly.
- Insert deleted scene before Marvel logo: young T'Challa talks with dad. Having these scenes back to back, as they would have been intended, works really well. We get young Erik left behind alone in Oakland contrasted with young T'Challa raised lovingly in safe and comfortable Wakanda.

3) Bring more gravitas to the ending.
- Insert deleted scene: part of T'Challa - Ross conversation at UN (it includes this edit's tagline).
- Move UN before Oakland scene. No mid-credit scene.

4) Minor pacing tweak:
- Small trim in Ross wake-up dialog with Shuri.
Cover art by lapis molari (DOWNLOAD HERE)

User reviews

14 reviews

100%
7-9 stars

0%
5-7 stars

0%
3-5 stars

0%
1-3 stars

0%
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

9.9(14)
Audio Editing

9.8(14)
Visual Editing

9.7(14)
Narrative

9.9(14)
Enjoyment

10.0(14)
View all user reviews View most helpful
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Since this is a light edit I don't really have to say much, just that I welcome all these changes made by the editor. Removing bad CGI is most definitely welcome, having more of the king and his brother at the beginning was also great, as was the choice to put the scene with T'Challa at the UN before his trip Oakland and also extend it, instead of mid-credits scene.

The only suggestion I would make is that we could remove some of the bad or out of place jokes.

Also, major props for having english subtitles!

I most definitely recommend this edit and I see no reason why it shouldn't be your go to version of the movie.

Thank you lapis molari for all your hard work and thanks to anyone who read my review!

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 0 0
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

The second edit I watched before the official release of Wakanda Forever ( ;-D ), this takes a great movie & makes it even better. I admit, something that annoyed me about the first film was how, despite how self-contained it was, you were still expected to see Civil War before this movie, & now that problem no longer exists. While I love the original opening (with how the kids get a glimpse of a afrofuturist utopia, only to then subvert that with the reveal that T'Chaka orphaned his nephew), I love how personal this feels for T'Challa going forward in the movie. The restructured ending is also excellent, with T'Challa meeting with Ross before the UN & the trip back to Oakland, making events more logical but also still emotionally satisfying.

The only negative I have is where I agree with josephdquinn, where cutting out some of the CGI results in T'Challa & Kilmonger just popping into the mines as result, but that's a very minor gripe. Highly recommended!

User Review

Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
(Updated: November 11, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This edit is nearly flawless. I'll start with the positives!
I really like that the opening scene is extended to show the rest of what happens, T'Chaka killing N'Jobu and leaving young Killmonger all alone, Then, with the inclusion of the deleted scene of young T'Challa at the beginning, it really set the stage for the emotional epic that this movie is. (The dialog of the scene is made doubly more powerful by the tragic loss of Chadwick Boseman).
The deleted scene with Ross at the end, before the UN scene, gives us another great moment with Boseman's T'Challa (though this scene is slightly washed out, could use some color correction), and moving the UN scene from the mid credits to this point, before the final scene in Oakland, is another great improvement. Realistically, Wakanda should reveal itself to the world before landing a UFO in a civilian area, so this change works really well!

The only nitpicks I have are audio related. The credits have a noticeably audio cut from where the mid credits scene was removed, which could be smoother. Similarly, in cutting some bad CGI from the mine fight, there is another noticeable cut in the audio that makes it feel like a jump cut as Killmonger and T'Challa fall into the mines.

Otherwise, it's a great edit and got me super excited for Wakanda Forever, which I just saw earlier today. (Quick review: It's fantastic!)

User Review

Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
J
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

While this is considered one of the epic marvel movies but compared to previous installments of the MCU like Captain America: Civil War unfortunately isn't the most visually impressive nor ambitious story-wise as it always felt like a rip-off to The Lion King(no offense). In fact, the CGI are so animated and even outdated that I don't think removing some of the bad CGI moments wasn't necessary, but it is appreciated though that one long-shot close-up scene when both T'Challa and Erik falling down in the mines was obviously edited and cut half-way was kind of awkward but like I said it is not something that I would miss anyway. The best thing about this fan edit is obviously the added deleted scenes fleshing out T'challa and contrasting his childhood with Erik's was genius and let's not forget his relationship with Martin Freeman's character too. And lastly switching the un scene first and Oakland second made the ending more natural and emotional not sure why they didn't do in the final cut in the first place but yet again this fan edit solves that problems.
This fanedit is another worthy replacement of the original by Lapis Molari and fans of the original will definitely love it.

User Review

Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 1 0
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

You took one of my favorite MCU movies and made it even better! Do I need to say more LOL...

User Review

Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 1 1
View all user reviews