FanFix June 04, 2022 4821
(Updated: June 08, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

So, i was quite excited to see a miniseries take on The Batman for more digestibility and some narrative improvements.

Narrative:
The overall tone of it doesn´t reinvent the exploration of the story, but that is fine and i didn´t thought it was Dons intention to do so. Therefore if you liked the original movie and structure you will be pleased to tread known waters. It´s worthwile.

As far as the format of a miniseries go it´s a hit and miss for me, personally - visual and narrative editing:
- Vol.1 started with the narration of Batman and his crime fighting, which is a far more compelling entry for this series then the murder of the mayor. Nice switch there and good placement of the title sequence after the cold open.
- Vol.2.3.4: i thought the cold opens didn´t work. Not necessarily narrative-wise but the length. 7-10 minutes for an opening of follow up episodes before a title sequence would work if the movie would´ve been shot as a series. But it wasn´t and the movie story structure doesn´t really give enough room to tell it lke that unfortunately, in my opinion.
The ending of vol.3 with Batman visiting the Riddler in prison (raise of the roller blind) is a perfect one because the third installement has the deleted joker scene in the beginning.
Unfortunately vol.4 doesn´t pick upon of the ending of vol.3 and starts with cementery scene of Selina and Batman, when it should´ve with Riddler and Batman, in my view.

Audio Editing:
Seemless cuts and rescoring. Technically without flaws.
The rescored scene with Bruce and Alfred in the hospital is a nice idea, although i found it a bit too sad and loud in a technical sense.

Verdict:
Overall it was a nice edit and well done work editing-wise. But which doesn´t really work as a series i´m afraid.
I appreciate the created title cards and that the edit was done in UHD as well as 5.1 surround.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 1

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
November 18, 2022
This is such a great review. I love that you considered how the breaks worked, not just praised that there WERE breaks like many of the other reviews.
M
mnkykungfu
1 results - showing 1 - 1