Batman: The Man Who Laughs
- V for Vendetta soundtrack by Dario Marianelli
2) Cut scenes with Wertz talking about Batman and Ramirez and Gordon on the rooftop.
3) Reordered first few scenes. After the bank robbery Gordon is now immediately investigating it. This is then followed by Batman on the parking deck.
4) Gordon and Batman talking in vault scored with "I'm Not a Hero" by Hans Zimmer from The Dark Knight soundtrack.
5) Cut "Pity there's only one of you."
6) Cut the tumbler's loiter and intimidate mode.
7) Scarecrow now gets away, prompting Bruce to say he needs to be faster in the next scene. This leads to his new costume.
8) Alternate audio take used for The Joker's "kill the batman" line.
9) Cut Bruce talking to Lucius about wanting to send him to Hong Kong.
10) Cut Bruce and Alfred talking about Sky Hook.
11) Cut Harvey and Rachel seeing that the ballet is canceled.
12) Cut boat scenes with Bruce, Alfred, and the ballerinas.
13) Cut all daytime Hong Kong scenes. Lucius no longer travels there. Because of this, Lucius no longer creates the mapping Sonar. Later in the cut we see that Bruce did.
14) The phone that Lucius left no longer exists and no longer causes the lights in Lau's building to go out. Lights now go off as Batman targets the building.
15) Cut cops "Have a nice trip. See you next fall" line.
16) Cut puzzled look on court stenographer's face.
17) Cut Bruce and Alfred talking about fundraiser.
18) Cut Dent talking to Lau in the jail cell.
19) Cut Alfred and Bruce talking about the bandit.
20) Cut Alfred telling Bruce I told you so.
21) Cut "He should turn himself in" and "give us the Batman" lines from Dent's press conference.
22) Rescored beginning of the armored car chase with "Why So Serious" from The Dark Knight soundtrack.
23) Cut cop yelling "obstruction ahead, obstruction ahead."
24) Cut armored car passenger saying "get us out of here, lets go."
25) Cut cop saying "He's going to need something a lot bigger to get through this."
26) Rescored tumbler and batpod chasing the armored car with Supersonic by Brand X music.
27) Cut editing error that made it look like the tumbler should've landed on its head after being shot with missile launcher.
28) Cut armored car passenger saying "We gotta get topside. We need air support."
29) Cut tumbler self-destruct.
30) Cut batpod driving between cars and destroying rear view mirrors.
31) Cut all helicopter scenes during armored car chase.
32) Armored car chase shortened overall to give more of a race against time feel.
33) Cut Batman blowing up empty cars.
34) Fixed editing error. When Batman shoots the glass doors, he now immediately drives through them instead of having a random parking garage clip inserted between the two shots.
35) Trimmed batpod driving towards Joker's semi.
36) Batpod now drives up the wall before the semi flips instead of after.
37) Trimmed batpod driving towards Joker.
38) Alternate audio take used for The Joker yelling "HIT ME!"
39) Cut Dent's "You do like to play things close to the chest."
40) Cut cop saying "Is that a... phone" line before explosion.
41) Cut Alfred telling Bruce how he caught the bandit.
42) Cut Lucius's "You took my sonar concept" line.
43) Cut "We should be on that boat" and "You want to ride with them? Be my guest" lines.
44) Cut "Why would they give us the detonator to our own bomb?"
45) Cut "let's put it to a vote" line.
46) Cut Gordon's son yelling for Batman to come back.
47) Reordered final scenes.
48) Cut Batman and Gordon narrations during closing scenes.
49) Rescored closing scenes with "Evey Reborn" from the V for Vendetta soundtrack.
50) Added custom closing title card.
51) Rescored closing credits with "See You... in Hell" from The Dark Knight Returns soundtrack.
Pretty good. Most of the changes seem pretty necessary. Don't know if it's just me but this feels more like a Batman movie than just a crime drama. I prefer this over the original.
No eye-rolling lines throughout gets this movie closer to perfection. It's funny to see what some people think is good vs bad though. There were more things I would have liked moved/cut/mixed, and there were some things I would have left in (like Alfred's "but I did tell you so"). Also, it may just be me, but I've always hated Morgan Freeman's voiceover during the fight at the end. "See those bad guys above you? They're about to ambush the swat team." Sounds like he's doing a really bad videogame voiceover, and it's also twice as loud as anything else in the scene. I'd love a version without the voiceover at all if possible. Fox doesn't even need to know the sonar exists, then it's just Batman using it and kicking ass.
There are so many edits, it's hard to generalize the quality. Most were flawless, but there was some audio clipping, and a few cuts not matching. I think most of the noticeable ones were during the action scenes, which are obviously harder to cut around. But the cuts in those scenes were greatly appreciated. Joker's "Hit me!" always sounded bad to me, the cops' unrealistically doofed up lines, unnecessarily explanatory dialogue from extras. Lots of little things that eat away at this movie's greatness, and a lot of them were cut.
The narrative was solid, for the most part the plot went largely unchanged. Reordering of the end was nice cause that final voiceover is shit too.
I wouldn't replace the original with this version because for as much as it fixed, I missed too much. But I would definitely recommend for 2 hours of fun and entertainment! Good job
ps: Now if someone could only edit around Christian Bale's dogshit acting when he's talking to the Joker at the end, we'd be in business!
Bravo my good man. You improved a classic! There have been many TDK edits, and I believe this is at the top of that list!
All the changes made may be very subtle changes, but they still impressively manage to take one of the best DC film adaptations out there and make it even better. I really do adore The Dark Knight, but I never saw it as some utterly flawless masterpiece. This edit, though, is a masterpiece. Quite possibly one of the best I've ever seen. Brilliant work.
Overall this is an excellent fanedit. The only things that hold it back in my opinion are the video being a bit soft (if there's a larger file available I would prefer it) and the soundtrack being only 2.0. That being said, almost all my edits are in 2.0 so I get it. Especially with music replacement. Here are some random thoughts:
- Vault rescore is great
- Subtle reorder at the beginning flows better and makes more sense. I never thought about it until I saw it different, good idea
- Scarecrow getting away is good
- The only cut that doesn't work for me is the one from the truck driving off with Harvey after his arrest. The audio cut is a bit rough and the visual cut is a bit awkward, with the vehicle facing left and then suddenly cutting to it moving to the right. I would flip the video of Harvey and Rachel saying goodbye. Or maybe a smoother audio cut would suffice, not sure
- Armored car chase was much better overall. I dig the musical change and the small cuts
- Ending editing is very nicely done
- I don't like the title. It's a small thing and I get the reference but it's a bit unwieldy. I'm sure you don't feel like changing it but I would go with 'Shadow of the Bat' or something else. There are better titles but that one works on a couple levels (Joker mirrors Batman but in opposite in many ways obviously)
- You should have added Bill Finger to the credits. Every Batman edit for the movies pre-2015 should do this
- Credits rescore is an improvement
Overall, great work!