bttf_hvc_front.jpg
FanMix February 16, 2018 11400
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This edit is a lot of fun. It provides a great, creative way to rewatch a trilogy that many have seen several times over already. The custom title cards, opening sequence and "previously on" are exceptionally well done and work well to sell it as a TV show. It's not perfect though. I felt that the first three episodes had some narrative inconsistencies that weren't explained and the editing could've been a bit tighter to make it seem like a real TV show. But it's a small complaint.

Where this edit really shines is in the middle episodes. The B&W treatment of the 1955 segment is stunning and fits perfectly. I almost wish the editor hadn't given the option of watching these episodes in colour, because B&W is far better. Episode 6 is worth the price of admission alone. The way the editor ramped up the action to the climax of this episode was brilliant. The narrative through 1955 can seem a bit confusing, but if you could keep up with Westworld, you shouldn't have an issue with this.

After that, it's basically BTTF3 edited into 3 episodes. It's less inspired than the 1955 segment, but there's only so much you can do with the source. It does its job. But, I think the editor missed a huge opportunity here. We start off in colour when we're in 1985 and 2015. We go back to 1955 and we're in B&W. Wonderful! We go even further back to 1885 and... we're back in colour? This would've been an excellent opportunity to go into a scratchy B&W, silent era look or even a sepia tone. The switch back to colour doesn't fit with the aesthetic (unless you watch it all in colour, I guess).

In the end, this is an impressive edit and well worth your time. Highly recommended.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
March 10, 2018
Interesting... I watched this a while back before approval and the BTTF 3 stuff was in sepia. Are you sure there isn't an alternate version lurking somewhere that you missed?
T
the-scribbling-man
1 results - showing 1 - 1