Review Detail

9.2 28 10
FanFix November 19, 2008 7107
Enjoyment

*SPOILERS*
I’m actually a big fan of Fallen and just like joebshmoe, Azazel worked better than I expected.
I personally like how Fallen ended and didn’t mind that Azazel had won.
Sure it was shocking, and I wanted Hobbes to win, but it still worked for me and is why Fallen is an unforgettable movie in my mind.

So I still prefer the original.
The reason being, as boon said himself in the desciption, now it’s “just” a horror thriller” and that being the case, what made Fallen so special was removed and becomes something not as special and more of a mainstream movie that doesn’t really stand out as much as it should.

BUT… with this fanedit, I can see how the original can be vastly improved.

For me, the “perfect cut” would be to use Azazel as the basis but add in a couple of elements Fallen back in.
I’d like to keep some of the original V.O. at the beginning and ending, as bookends, and maybe one or two in the middle (that don’t hint at who’s talking) so we don’t forget about the narrator during the movie, and keep the cat at the end.

This would add back into Azazel what had made Fallen a stand out movie in the first place.. that mind bending ending which I feel is one of the best surprise endings, ever.

Also, boon asks, why does Azazel have Hobbes voice in the original V.O. since Hobbes is already dead.
Well, Azazel is a supernatural being.
So if it isn’t that big a jump to think he has a fading heart beat at the end of this edit, we can easily make the jump to think that he can mimick whoever he wants to.
We don’t really know all that he is capable of.

Having said all that, this is like a retail DVD.
Actually, better than many of them.
Beautiful menus, flawless video and audio, great extras.
Exquisite.
All the time, effort and passion put into this is undeniable.

The bottom line is, regardless of my personal preferences, boon achieved 100% what he set out to do with this movie.
He made a flawless (perhaps perfect), mainstream, horror thriller.

For that, it’s a 10/10.

PS. Boon, if you ever revisit this amazing edit, perhaps you may consider a seamless branching version, with an ending of the viewer’s choosing?
Z
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments